TrueNAS Scale NIS/LDAP/AD server?

samliddicott

Cadet
I read recently, but can't find the post, something stating that the capability for Scale to run a NIS/LDAP/AD server had been removed because of runtime dependency issues (something like the server can't start cos the system needs the AD service to be active to resolve names in order to start).

I'm trying to port from QNAP to Scale. I run an LDAP server and NFS shares on QNAP, for the family laptops to connect to. Whichever laptop is used, login works and all the files are on NFS.

But Scale not being able to run an LDAP server is quite a problem, something needs to provide the account info.

Is it possible in such a case that the system doesn't need to be the client of its own service, which provides only local account info?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I read recently, but can't find the post, something stating that the capability for Scale to run a NIS/LDAP/AD server had been removed because of runtime dependency issues (something like the server can't start cos the system needs the AD service to be active to resolve names in order to start).

I'm trying to port from QNAP to Scale. I run an LDAP server and NFS shares on QNAP, for the family laptops to connect to. Whichever laptop is used, login works and all the files are on NFS.

But Scale not being able to run an LDAP server is quite a problem, something needs to provide the account info.
You can run whatever you want in VMs in SCALE. Putting your DNS inside a VM on the host server and then configuring the host to use DNS from a guest VM is a recipe for problems in general. It's always best to have DNS stable and available (especially if you have an nss module that depends on it being stable and available). So many problems are caused by DNS issues that it has become a meme. FWIW, you can run an OpenLDAP server in a VM on SCALE without having your DNS in there.