TrueNAS Scale Error nslcd.service

Nthrash

Cadet
TrueNAS Debian Error

Restart Problem

Hello, I have been using truenas scale for about a week and core for just over a couple years. Recently I had upgraded through truenas core gui to truenas scale on some 4th gen intel hardware from an older computer of mine. Everything was running fine until I restarted my truenas through the gui power button and when restarting, I was unable to get the os to boot.

Hooking up an external monitor, I was shown a “Failed to start nslcd.service - LSB: LDAP connection daemon.” With further digging, I found “nslcd.service: failed with result ‘exit-code” and “nslcd: no URIs defined in config”. Despite re-installing the TrueNAS os onto the boot drive and trying on another drive, it still fires these same errors.

I’ll be honest I know very little about this kind of stuff as I work in healthcare, but was hoping someone may know a little more about this error. With some basic internet searches I haven’t seemed to find much.

I can provide some photos of screen if that helps at all with troubleshooting.

Thank you again.

TL;DR: truenas restart resulting in error codes and not posting the OS.

Hardware:
i54670k cpu @3.4ghz
32gb ddr3 non ecc 1600mhz ram
z87-g45 Msi motherboard
120gb Kingston ssd
2 x 4tb sea gate iron wolf 4tb has drives
TrueNAS scale 22.12.3.3

Attachments

• IMG_5312.jpeg
    IMG_5312.jpeg
    294.9 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_5311.jpeg
    IMG_5311.jpeg
    267.7 KB · Views: 169

bigrigwill79

Cadet
I too have run into this same error. Clean install of TrueNAS Scale. When booting into the OS I get the nsl.service failed to start. I'm looking into it a bit more now. Not that I am any linux master. The only thing different is I had to change Motherboard processor and ram. Upon doing so everything is crashing when I have file transfers going. I watch my Ram swap file spike to 20Gigs then about 10-15 seconds later the system forces the system to reboot.

Hardware:
I9-12900K
64gb DDR5 G.skill Ripjaws S5
MSI PRO Z690-A Motherboard
Ironwolf Pro 4 * 8Tib HHD
Ironwolf Pro 2 * 4Tib HHD
WB Black 1Tib Boot Drive
Samsung Evo 850 * 500Gib SSD
Off brand 250 * Gib SSD

All overclocks disabled running stock. Only thing not changed is the expandable bar or whatever it is called. I don't currently have any pictures to show but am currently working everything out. Any ideas from anyone? Looks like the above user and I are in the same boat.

Ovrld

Cadet
Same for me. I did't activated LDAP and I don't want to use Ldap. This worked for me:

sudo systemctl disable --now nslcd
sudo systemctl disable --now nscd
sudo systemctl stop nslcd
sudo systemctl stop nscd
sudo systemctl reset-failed

bigrigwill79

Cadet
Same for me. I did't activated LDAP and I don't want to use Ldap. This worked for me:
Ok sweet. I finally got the issue resolved where the ram would spike. Still not completely stable. Which I am wondering about this LDAP Directory service. When I get the chance today I'll give your sudo commands a shot and see how it works out.

heisenbug

Cadet
Don't disable the nscd service if you have this problem. Leave it enabled. The nscd and nslcd services are unrelated to each other and serve different purposes. Instead, only disable the nslcd service. The suggested use of reset-failed is also problematic, in that it resets the failed state for every service, which may hide the existence of other problems. It's better to only reset the failed state for nslcd.

So, in summary, it's better to use these commands:
systemctl disable --now nslcd
systemctl reset-failed nslcd