TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02.0.1 Upgrade problems w/samba shared

boscorillium

Dabbler
I don't know if all of this is related but I just did the upgrade to 22.02.0.1 from 22.02.RELEASE. I have a pool job that won't finish and is stuck at 80% even though it's fully imported into the system and available.

Then SMB wouldn't start. So I had to dive into that and this is what I found and had to do:

Missing directories:

Code:
sudo mkdir /var/db/system/samba4/private
sudo systemctl restart smbd
cd /var/log
sudo mkdir samba4
sudo systemctl restart smbd

That made it so I could start SMB services and for now that's fine but not ideal. Is this known? Surely it's not expected....

Also- can we have an option to mark pools optional at boot? Having boot take in excess of 15 minutes because it can't import an encrypted pool (password protected) is annoying.

Hope this is helpful to someone!

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
It's probably not an issue specific to 22.02.0.1, but a general update issue. How did you force the reboot.. was it a standard software update?

If it doesn't reboot... it may be a bug. Please report rollback and report if it is repeatable. I'm not sure if this has been seen before.

For the issue of pools being optional at boot.... that would be a suggestion in "report a bug".

boscorillium

Dabbler
If it doesn't reboot... it may be a bug. Please report rollback and report if it is repeatable. I'm not sure if this has been seen before.

Thanks for mentioning rollback, it hadn't even occurred to me. Since I was still having issues with SMB (NT_LOGON_FAILURE) I decided to do that. I'm happy to say that worked as intended. So I'm back on 22.02.RELEASE. I suppose the next step would be to delete the 22.02.0.1 boot and then redo the upgrade? I'm hesitant at the moment but the next time I can afford to spend time working through it I will.

It's probably not an issue specific to 22.02.0.1, but a general update issue. How did you force the reboot.. was it a standard software update?

I'm not sure what you meant about force the reboot? What I recall is I applied the upgrade (through the normal web UI upgrade) and then rebooted normally using the web UI. It timed out trying to import a couple of pools (they are problematic for various reasons and it's not surprising when it happens [hence the optional request, I'll file a suggestion/feature request]) and then after that it appeared to be functioning as expected.

But then I noticed the SMB service wasn't running so when I tried to start it I found all the issues I noted above.

[edit: fixed incorrectly referenced version number 22.02.1 => 22.02.01]

Last edited:

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Thanks for mentioning rollback, it hadn't even occurred to me. Since I was still having issues with SMB (NT_LOGON_FAILURE) I decided to do that. I'm happy to say that worked as intended. So I'm back on 22.02.RELEASE. I suppose the next step would be to delete the 22.02.1 boot and then redo the upgrade? I'm hesitant at the moment but the next time I can afford to spend time working through it I will.

I'm not sure what you meant about force the reboot? What I recall is I applied the upgrade (through the normal web UI upgrade) and then rebooted normally using the web UI. It timed out trying to import a couple of pools (they are problematic for various reasons and it's not surprising when it happens [hence the optional request, I'll file a suggestion/feature request]) and then after that it appeared to be functioning as expected.

But then I noticed the SMB service wasn't running so when I tried to start it I found all the issues I noted above.
Thanks.... we have identified some race conditions on boot where some tasks are not completed in time for other tasks. This may be one of them... they are more likely to occur on more complex set-up. Unless you need 22.02.0.1.. I'd suggest waiting for 22.02.1.

boscorillium

Dabbler
Thanks.... we have identified some race conditions on boot where some tasks are not completed in time for other tasks. This may be one of them... they are more likely to occur on more complex set-up. Unless you need 22.02.0.1.. I'd suggest waiting for 22.02.1.

Will do, thanks for the suggestion. I'll hold tight.

Overall I've been pretty pleased with TrueNAS Scale fwiw. I'm moving all of my data from a commerical NAS to TrueNAS Scale box I built. I ran FreeNAS for a long time as a secondary and was doing the same with TNS but have recently decided to consolidate around just TNS.

Thanks again.