Tips for ssd storage for dev/test VMware cluster.

Joachim1975

Cadet
we have an 3 node VMware cluster with about 150 VM that is being used for dev test machines for our developers. Sometimes they are cloning sql databases and they also have their build servers in there. Currently there is only dev/test load there and all source code and important files are stored in the cloud and not part of the current storage for the dev test environment.

Today we are using 2 x super micro cse826 with x9dri-lnf4 2xe5-2640 and 128gb ram 6x960gb Intel s4510 in raidz and We also got 6x2tb barracuda HDD in a mirror as low performance storage. Boxes are Booth connected with 10gbit, and so i vmware hosts.

We do about 1tb of backup every night onto another freenas system using Nakivo. The masterplan is that We can easily live without 50% of the vm`s for a day or two. And restoring last night backup in not a problem.

Up to now we have not been using the low performance disks much and we are looking to replace them with either 1 or 2 tb ssd. We do not want to do much maintenance on the boxes and we feel sufficient with having disk monitoring thru snmp and email alerts, so we are not to eager to start looking into ssd caching etc.

so do anyone have any suggestions for ssd? I have been looking at the newer d3-s4510 series, but are there other better value ssd we should consider?

as I understand we should be sufficient with 1dwpd devices and they should have power capacitors.