Thumbdrive for FreeNAS installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antioch18

Explorer
I'm a FreeNAS noobie and I'm planning my first FreenNAS build and will install the OS to a USB thumbdrive. However, I'm fairly confident that the old adage holds true in this case: "not all thumbdrives are created equal." Are there any recommended thumbdrives or traits that I look for in purchasing a thumbdrive? I realize they're cheap but given that this drive will house the OS I'd like to to have it flake out on me.

Also, how large of a thumbdrive is necessary? 4GB?

Thanks,
Antioch

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi Antioch18,

All you need is 4GB. The current install needs 2000MB which is just a hair over what most 2GB keys format out to.

As to what brand to get.....I'd just get something from a brand you recognize, something like a SanDisk or Kingston. There's no need to get anything fancy as a fast "premium" key won't make the filer operate any faster, though, to be fair, it might make it boot faster.

-Will

collinl

Cadet
I'm a FreeNAS noobie and I'm planning my first FreenNAS build and will install the OS to a USB thumbdrive. However, I'm fairly confident that the old adage holds true in this case: "not all thumbdrives are created equal." Are there any recommended thumbdrives or traits that I look for in purchasing a thumbdrive? I realize they're cheap but given that this drive will house the OS I'd like to to have it flake out on me.

Also, how large of a thumbdrive is necessary? 4GB?

Thanks,
Antioch

As far as quality goes, I found that anything can break if you use it enough (meaning unplugging and replugging), eventually the joints between the connector interface and the circuit board starts to gap - if it's not one piece. However if it host your OS, you shouldn't be removing it - so in that sense it should last. Considering how low cost they can be, just buy extras and backup your thumb install to them (make sure to update the backup if you make any change to your system). Just google for free usb drive duplicator and you should come up with something.

Status
Not open for further replies.