The WD Elements 8TB still have HGST HE8 in them

HolyK

Ninja Turtle
When disk is in USB enclosure, it goes to sleep after some time, I had to use a small "watch" function trick to write to disk periodically to get my long smart test done.
How do you check disk integrity in addition to long smart test? Just realized it will take many days to run badblocks on a 10Tb drive, even with -w -b 4096...

For 3.3v discussion, I finally bought this 1€ adapter. Much cheaper than buying kapton tape, even if it's not as neat in the NAS box.

These are the "lose your data" kind of :] I don't want to scare you as the risk is low but still better safe than sorry... see the links bellow.

diedrichg

Wizard
(2) of (6) arrived today! Here's the first one
IMG_20200720_180534__01.jpg

They have a new chassis mount that isn't on any of the YouTubes or blogs I've seen so I wasn't expecting that. They are really nice rectangular corner mounts that are just tension mounted, so there's no hardware to unscrew
IMG_20200720_181007__01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

HolyK

Ninja Turtle
They have a new chassis mount that isn't on any of the YouTubes or blogs I've seen so I wasn't expecting that. They are really nice rectangular corner mounts that are just tension mounted, so there's no hardware to unscrew

I got the same a week ago for 12TB version. There are no torx screws for rubber dampers BUT THERE IS ONE EXTRA SCREW ON THE SIDE HOLDING THE PCB!! I almost wrecked one of the disks as i was not expecting that and i've overlooked the screw. (Shucked six "old" boxes back in January so was expecting only one screw on the bottom of the disk). Luckily i am not THAT stupid and after few failed attempts to gently pull out the PCB from SATA port(s) i found why the hell it wont come out :D

And frankly the new case feels much cheaper/lighter. The inner frame has significantly less plastic so it might crack easily. Also each of the rubber dumper has different shape so it is a small puzzle to put the HDD back in a proper way. Sadly the new case did not helped with cooling. I had the BOX connected over USB and exploring the SMART data and the temperature went up to 55 Celsius within few minutes. Can't imagine what temp it would reach after hours of data transfer...

Last edited:

NAS___

Explorer
Thanks for the info @HolyK
I found some kapton tape on some aliexpress msata adapter PCB I just received (don't know why, but that's cool). Did the 3 pin mask, works perfectly :smile: Disks are in badblock testing now :smile:
Same mounting for 10Tb, and disks have a middle side screw, such as any classic HDD.
When used in the USB box I added a small USB fan to cool them.

NAS___

Explorer
photo_2020-07-22_17-28-28.jpg

For those interested in cheap (1€) SATA-Molex adapter, here is what I received. No danger here and the build is correct.
Will still not use them now I have done the 3 pin kapton trick.

elorimer

Contributor
The Easystore 8TB externals are $120 FS at Best Buy

EDIT: Reported dead, but still seems to be bouncing in and out of stock.

Last edited:

NAS___

Explorer
I tried using the WD Elements USB3 adapter with my old WD Red 3TB disks (WD30EFRX) and it works :smile:
Perfect to use them as a backup solution :smile:
But... it can't fit in the box as the rubber adapter does not fit.

HolyK

Ninja Turtle
But... it can't fit in the box as the rubber adapter does not fit.

Yea the new boxes won't work with the "old" HDD shapes. I had two 2TB REDs i wanted to reuse in these shucked boxes. The old one (with torx screws for rubber) works perfectly but the new ones with square rubber things in corners are not compatible.

Next time i will have NAS maintenance i will pull out one of the new Whites and compare the dimensions with the old HDDs. Then a sharp razor blade or scalpel should do the necessary work on the rubber things.

NAS___

Explorer
Only drawback is if you cut it, it's hard to send disk and enclosure back for warranty if it fails.

elorimer

Contributor
Last edited:

NAS___

Explorer
Hum, that explains why my 10TB He drives are hotter than my old 3TB Red ones. Even pushing ventilation a bit, they are running 38°C.
@elorimer I also have about 9-10°C more.
That's even more than the 10K Raptor drive I also run in my NAS which is only at 34°C!
It's really a shame to see WD doing all this. With this kind of marketing, they will loose all customer.

Oh. No. Here we go again: https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/ikk0rv/psa_multiple_wd_5400rpm_drives_are_actually/

I measured. My WDReds 4TB are spinning at 5400rpm and my 8TBs from Easystores are at 7200rpm. Checked the temperatures and the 8TBs are 8 to 10 degrees C hotter.

ARRGGGH.

elorimer

Contributor
I guess we can't complain about mislabeling. Nothing in the Elements/Easystore specs sets out a 5400 spindle speed except the smart field. So FreeNAS reports the RPM as 5400 reading that field, but the actual speed is 7200.

What it looks like though, that these are 7200 drives that can't make the cut as 7200 rpm drives, so they get put into enclosures. Maybe that's why they are cheaper in this form.

NAS___

Explorer
Yes, you're right. These drives are great :smile: I was referring to global misinformation WD is doing (SMR drives, now Smart data speed...)

kherr

Explorer
Another reason to abandon WD totally and go elsewhere ...... I recently bought 12 8TB drives and WD was defiantly on my DNB list. I had been a 100% WD customer. I ended up with 8TB Seagate Exos drives ....... screaming fast ....... They may draw more power, but they run sub 40^ and hopefully last a lonnnng time. Can't do any worse.