Systemwide Proxy

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlazeStar

Patron
Hi,

We have an HTTP proxy at work.

This makes it so FreeNAS dont have access to the exterior world ;)

For exemple, it is impossible to get plugins

How can I set a systemwide proxy?

I've been looking around the GUI, and the manual, and i did not find ANYTHING about that.

Thanks!

D4nthr4x

Explorer
So you are on a VLAN that blocks traffic to the outside world? Or is your entire network cutoff from the outside except for connections through this proxy? You should just get your IT (or do it yourself if you are the IT guy) to add firewall rules to allow your FreeNAS/Jail IPs to access the outside. An HTTP proxy by definition only allows port 80 traffic which may or may not be what you need to download the plugins/jails. Or if it's just the VLAN that is blocked switch the VLAN you are using.

BlazeStar

Patron
All HTTP and HTTPs trafic go through the proxy (SQUID).

The proxy is on the gateway server (firewall, etc.) so nothing comes from or goes to the Web without going through the proxy.

I could always add the FreeNAS server on a DMZ but I'd like to avoid that.

System-wide proxy settings are extremely common, I can't believe that in 2014, something as popular as FreeNAS doesn't have system-wide proxy settings!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I couldn't find the discussion, but FreeNAS needs more than just http and https traffic for a typical setup. So you are actually better off not using a proxy at all for FreeNAS.

A DMZ typically means "no firewall" which is very bad.

Your best bet is to setup FreeNAS to access the internet through the firewall and not even consider the proxy as an option(not that it is one anyway right now).

BlazeStar

Patron
We use a non transparent proxy, which means every user must authenticate.

When a user authenticate, you may allow him to have full access to Internet without restriction.

On all our other servers or desktops, we set system-wide proxy settings with the proxy IP, username and password, which allows us to do what I describe above with servers.

But on FreeNAS I don't see anywhere how I could do that...

I'll just have to try and make an exception based on the internal IP of FreeNAS.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'll just have to try and make an exception based on the internal IP of FreeNAS.

That's what I think you're going to have to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.