SOLVED System Crash, lost config, need to reattach volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortie87

Cadet
Hi Guys/Girls,

I've tried to sum up the issues I'm having in the subject, but as always, it's a bit more complicated than that...

I've been using a FreeNAS server (v8.3.1) for about a year now, and all has been well, until Sunday when I could no longer access my shares I had configured. I plugged a monitor into the PC that was running FreeNAS, and it had unfortunately crashed. Now I must have done something wrong, somewhere down the line, as it doesn't appear to have saved my config, despite me being fairly confident I had done so...

Anyways, my issue is, I now have a 2tb hard drive, which is about half full of data I desperately need back, and no way to read it. I was hoping I could re-connect the drive to FreeNAS, copy the files off and put them somewhere else, butI'm not sure how to reattach the disk without wiping it...

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and if this isn't possible, suggestions of another way I could restore my data would be great too!

Martyn

warri

Guru
You can just auto-import the pool from a fresh installation. Did you use UFS or ZFS?

shortie87

Cadet
Hi Warri,

That sounds hopeful! I'm 99% certain its ZFS, that's what my Windows PC told me it is anyways.

shortie87

Cadet
Warri,

Just to let you know, thanks to your help, I've had a go at this and managed to get the pool imported again. I've reconfigured my shares and have managed to get all of my data back. Thank you so much for all of your help!

warri

Guru
Glad you could get everything up and running again. Consider setting up a backup solution for your important data :)

shortie87

Cadet
RAID5 is definitely on the cards for the new system. I'm managed to find a redundant PC with more available SATA ports, so I'll be doing a full rebuild once I finish copying my data to an external drive :)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Shoo.. thank goodness you shouldn't mix FreeNAS with hardware RAID! (yes this is sarcasm, the manual tells you not to mix them)

Status
Not open for further replies.