SOLVED Sudden Extreme Performance Drop [iSCSI,VMWare]

Status
Not open for further replies.

korfu

Cadet
Hello,
Let me start by saying I am still new to True/FreeNAS. This environment was setup by a former employee and I am merely living in their world.

Anyways onto the issue. Everything has been running smooth for years until last Friday. A coworker noticed that the HDD Pool reached 89% full when performance took a big hit. We found several .zstream files that were used to move snapshots around from environment to environment, after removing that and some VMware snapshots the disk came down to 67% free however performance has not increased. We have checked so many different things but nothing seems to help.

The systems specs are as follows;
1 single vdev for one zpool containing 11x8TB 7200RPM disks. RAIDZ2

Code:
zpool list HDD
NAME        SIZE  ALLOC   FREE  CKPOINT  EXPANDSZ   FRAG    CAP  DEDUP    HEALTH  ALTROOT
HDD    80T  50.3T  29.7T        -         -    10%    62%  1.00x    ONLINE  /mnt

The second pool is all the SSDs (900gbx12) split into two RAIDZ2 groups of 6 disks each
Code:
NAME        SIZE  ALLOC   FREE  CKPOINT  EXPANDSZ   FRAG    CAP  DEDUP    HEALTH  ALTROOT
ssd  10.4T  2.07T  8.37T        -         -    27%    19%  1.00x    ONLINE  /mnt

The connect between the TrueNAS and ESXi is iSCSI on a 10Gbe link.

Using iPERF3 I can get:
  • Host1 <> Host2 = 10gbe
  • Host1 -> NAS = sub 1gbe
  • Host2 -> NAS = sub 1gbe
  • NAS -> Host1/2 = 10gbe
TrueNAS is running on a 45drives Q30
  • Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1220 v5 @ 3.00GHz
  • 64GB RAM
  • TrueNAS-12.0-U4
I have checked everywhere that I can and MTU for everything is set to 1500

On the ESXi/Vcenter (6.7 latest) side I am seeing the dqlen get stuck at 32 and build a queue as well as the datastore almost constantly dropping.

I have done my best to provide as much info as possible but I am sure I am missing a huge amount that you need in order to help me figure out whats going on I will do my best to provide additional information as quickly and accurately as possible. Again I am still new to this.

korfu

Cadet
Sometimes the simplest thing is the answer. I finally got someone to go in and replace the fiber cable. First time I have had one go bad and speeds are back to what they were.

I have learned a lot troubleshooting mainly that I need to get off iSCSI + RAIDZ2.

Mods: Please feel free to lock or delete

Status
Not open for further replies.