Storage Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLIMaxPower

Explorer
Just about to reconfigure my freenas servers. Purpose is media storing/streaming to 3 TVs. max using GB lan.

Currently using a N40L and a N36L (Backup using manual rsync) . Both have 16gb ecc. The N40L is the main unit with 12x 3tb drives in raidz2 and a single 2tb for jails. The N36L is same. Jails aren't backed up. Using USB stick for booting. I also have intel gb nics to use, although have been using the on board ones.

Have been using generic sata controllers etc which I have decided to replace with m1015 variants.

I have 14x4tb that I will be using in a N54L 16gb ecc + m1015. Planning on making a 12 drive RaidZ2 and keep 2 spare or should I go 14 in a single pool raidz3? Jails will be installed in this pool using a dataset?

The N40L and N36L will be powered on to backup the N54L using manual rsync (X264/5 on one server and everything else on the other) I couldn't get my head around snapshots or replication. They will have 10-12 x 3tb each in RaidZ2.

I have been contemplating using a poweredge 2950geniii 64gb ecc (all fans and bios has been modded to keep the fans at low voltage) due to the extra ram and cpu power, but have been putting it off due to the bad rap they get on here. I have a m1015 and breakout cables to connect to the on board hba.

These are all currently housed in a server rack. Power consumption is not an issue.

I would love to go 24 bay supermicro gear but is out of my price range and I have all the hardware here now.