SSL wildcard and reverse proxy

diedrichg

Wizard
I find networking extremely confusing and have what I know is a dumb question, but here it is.

A SSL (TLS) wildcard certificate subscription is quite expensive!
(1) From what I understand, Let's Encrypt doesn't support subdomain SSL?
(2) Can a reverse proxy take the place of the wildcard SSL to utilize a cheap (or free) single domain SSL? Meaning - I would be able to get certificate encryption on the subdomain by utilizing a single domain SSL certificate and the reverse proxy forwarding to the subdomain? e.g. https://truenas.mydomain.xyz

I'm sure I'm getting my wires crossed. Maybe somebody can help?

Heracles

Wizard
Well mine is completely free...

Yes they do. But they require DNS challenges for them.

(2) Can a reverse proxy take the place of the wildcard SSL to utilize a cheap (or free) single domain SSL?

No because they need to serve a valid certificate for the name requested by the client. But it can use a free wildcard to do so.

danb35

Hall of Famer
What do you mean by "subdomain SSL"? Let's Encrypt will happily issue a cert for any hostname you own--root domain, subdomain, sub-subdomain, etc. As long as you can validate the FQDN--either through the DNS challenge, or via a HTTP connection to the hostname in question--Let's Encrypt will issue you the cert. If you mean a wildcard--you want a cert for *.example.com to match any subdomain under example.com--Let's Encrypt will issue that too, for free (all their certs are free), but you must validate via DNS.

You can have up to 100 names on a single Let's Encrypt cert, which can be any combination of root domains, subdomains, sub-subdomains (and further levels as desired), and/or wildcards. You can issue pretty much all the certs you want, within their rate limits.

Does Let’s Encrypt issue wildcard certificates?

Can a reverse proxy take the place of the wildcard SSL

An RP will use a wildcard cert. To give this some context, here's an example using Caddy:
Code:
*.example.com {
    map {labels.2} {ip} {
        sub1 192.168.1.10:80    #sub1.example.com
        sub2 192.168.1.20:8181  #sub2.example.com
    }
    reverse_proxy {ip}
}

diedrichg

Wizard
Thank you all for the replies, this helps to clear some stuff up.