Spare drives: multiple sized drives and standby questions

anaxagorasbc

Dabbler
so i have a slightly jank configuration, i know it's not optimal, ideal or likely even recommended, but it's what I've got for now.

i have a pool with 2 v-devs. vdev 1 is 6x8tb drives in a raidz2. vdev2 is 6x16tb drives in a raidz2. I had the money to upgrade half the drives, waiting to do the other half sometime around mid next year.

So spares are assigned to pools, not vdevs. i do have plenty of old 8tb drives, so i want to run a spare for vdev1. i also have 1 spare 16tb drive that i want to run as a spare for vdev2. I can only assign spares to the pool however, so if i assign them both to the pool, what's to stop a drive from failing in the 8tb vdev and being replaced with the 16tb spare instead of the 8tb spare?

the other question is can i put the spare drive in standby mode and have it stay spun down? I tried it, and it's constantly stopping and starting, the power cycle count is only like 45, but the stop/start count has sky rocketed to over 500 in the last few weeks. Do i need to do the force standby option? If i can't have the spares remain spun down then i'll just keep cold spares. but i was hoping i'd be able to have warm spares remain spun down.