SOLVED [SOLVED] Question: App Storage & Data Volumes

fabianm

Dabbler
I am in the process of setting up some Apps on a TrueNAS testserver and could not find information in the documenation regarding some settings deploying Apps:

1. Enable Host Path for Nextcloud Data Volume
It is not clear to me what this does. While reading the guide for NextCloud it was suggested to tick the box for this setting but I could not find information in the documentation what this does.

2. Data Storage Path
When setting Type to ixVolume (Dataset created automaticallly by the system) it cannot be changed later, and I cannot see where it is actually stored. The tooltip does not provide verbose information why it cannot be changed later on, and if it is advised to do so.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
1. Enable Host Path for Nextcloud Data Volume
It is not clear to me what this does. While reading the guide for NextCloud it was suggested to tick the box for this setting but I could not find information in the documentation what this does.
This allows you to make a directory on your host TrueNAS system (a "host path") available inside your app container.

2. Data Storage Path
When setting Type to ixVolume (Dataset created automaticallly by the system) it cannot be changed later, and I cannot see where it is actually stored. The tooltip does not provide verbose information why it cannot be changed later on, and if it is advised to do so.
a container volume is created by the system as stated and it is mounted in the app container so that when the container is updated, the changes you make are still available.

If you want to view the contents of such a volume, use heavyscript (menu options 2, 2, 1).

fabianm

Dabbler
Thank you for the answer,
by reading forum posts, I figured I should create datasets myself for a more flexible approach, as well as backup and so on. But while testing, noticed that the setting the type to "ixVolume", this will be locked unless I reinstall the App and become curious.
This allows you to make a directory on your host TrueNAS system (a "host path") available inside your app container.
If I create datasets for the different apps, eg.
tank
| nextcloud
| data
| db
I don't need to enable "host path" since I created the structure myself, right?

NugentS

MVP
No - thats a hostpath

IMHO - Hostpath is the ONLY way to deply containers. Its far more flexible and sensible that the official way. You do have to be a bit more careful with permissions though

fabianm

Dabbler
TY you again.
Slowly starting to understand how this works :) , but I want the fundamentals sorted before I spin up the server and have Issues later on, that I could have solved by asking now.

Best

jack_homelab

Cadet
No - thats a hostpath

IMHO - Hostpath is the ONLY way to deply containers. Its far more flexible and sensible that the official way. You do have to be a bit more careful with permissions though
Thank you for your advice. Can I ask you a followup question?

When deploying Apps which require more than one new Host Path to be configured; is it satisfactory to use the same dataset with each Storage Configuration.

For instance - Audiobookshelf needs a "Config Storage" and a "Metadata Storage". Can I create a dataset "Audiobookshelf" (with the appropriate permissions) and use that as the Host Path for each of these storage areas - and rely on the configuration process to nest inside this dataset the appropriate folders? Or should I set up separate child datasets for each of these Storage locations (under the parent dataset "Audiobookshelf")?

NugentS

MVP
I set up a single dataset and then used sub folders for each container underneath that - so yes

Just be careful with permissions