Snapshot and Replication Task, only Replication can restore deleted Dataset?

testcb00

Dabbler
Currently I am discovering the usage of Snapshot and Replication Task.

In my testing, it seems that Snapshot can only able to rollback any changes of that Dataset.
If I have to restore a deleted Dataset, I can only use Replication since the Snapshot of the Dataset are also deleted.

The following are what I have tried:

1st Snapshot
testpool\dataset1

2nd Snapshot
testpool\dataset1
testpool\dataset1\directoryA

3rd Snapshot
testpool\dataset1
testpool\dataset1\directoryA\documentAA

4th Snapshot
testpool\dataset1
testpool\dataset1\documentB

After taken the 4th Snapshot, I deleted documentB and documentAA.

If I rollback using 4th Snapshot of testpool\dataset1, both the documentB and documentAA are back.
If I rollback using
3rd Snapshot of testpool\dataset1, documentB will disppear. 4th Snapshot will be deleted.
If I rollback using 2nd Snapshot of testpool\dataset1, both the documentAA and documentB will disppear. 3rd Snapshot and 4th Snapshot will be deleted.
If I rollback using 1st Snapshot of testpool\dataset1, nothing will remain. Other Snapshot will be deleted.
If I delete dataset1, all the Snapshot will be deleted.

Besides, I redo the above procedure and add a new dataset, such that:
5th Snapshot
testpool\dataset1

testpool\dataset1\dataset12

If I try to rollback using 4th Snapshot, it will show error as there are new child dataset.

testpool\dataset1

I delete dataset1, and try to rollback using 5th Snapshot of testpool\dataset1, I get

testpool\dataset1

The dataset dataset12 become a directory dataset12...

In my testing, it seems that Snapshot can only able to rollback any changes of that Dataset.
If I have to restore a deleted Dataset, I can only use Replication since the Snapshot of the Dataset are also deleted.
A snapshot is a property of the dataset. It's tethered to it. If you destroy a dataset, you destroy the snapshots.

After taken the 4th Snapshot, I deleted documentB and documentAA.

If I rollback using 4th Snapshot of testpool\dataset1, both the documentB and documentAA are back.
If I rollback using
3rd Snapshot of testpool\dataset1, documentB will disppear. 4th Snapshot will be deleted.
If I rollback using 2nd Snapshot of testpool\dataset1, both the documentAA and documentB will disppear. 3rd Snapshot and 4th Snapshot will be deleted.
If I rollback using 1st Snapshot of testpool\dataset1, nothing will remain. Other Snapshot will be deleted.
If I delete dataset1, all the Snapshot will be deleted.
Exactly. Unless you "breakaway" a snapshot by cloning it to a new dataset, and then promote it to the new "premiere" dataset. (But this is beyond the scope and practicality of most users here.)

You might find it more useful to just read or restore an individual file/folder in moments of emergency, rather than using the shotgun blast approach of "rollbacks".