SOLVED SMB per share permissions, why ACL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiberiusQ

Contributor
Dear all,

Before I moved to FreeNAS I was running and maintaining custom SMB env. for my windows clients I was always struggling with ACLs till I realized I don't need to because my clients prefer a per share access permission policy anyway so I added the acl support = no param. to the shares and after one chmod or chown command all was set and good.

Since a year I moved for pretty good reasons to FreeNAS which is great But there is still samba and oh yes the windows clients ;-) and don't ask me why I ended up where I was years ago- several ACL issues, read/write or access issues inherit bullshit and so on. The thing is I did it how the documentation guided me and well yeah hello ACLs again.

NOW MY QUESTION:
Because I do only need a per share base access permission(user / group) so no windows ACLs for subfolders and inherits usw.
Is there a good reason why not switching to a Unix permission type?
Set the rights once with chown and chmod and done!?
Or do I miss something or does this affect something else eg. the Periodic Snapshot Task?

THX & Best
Q

Last edited by a moderator:

tiberiusQ

Contributor
I know the video....this is the common windows (acl) way to do it BUT does not relate to my post or question....

tiberiusQ

Contributor
Can be cumbersome to manage, UNIX permissions can quickly get out of shape. Using Windows Explorer (or setfacl) to manage permissions is far simpler.

No. See above answer.

I see this the opposite direction ;-) but I don't wanna start a ideological discussion about...
I know, not if I use a windows dataset but if I use a Unix dataset indeed.

Once again- I wanna get rid of windows acls equal to the samba param 'acl support = no' in FreeNAS to just realize a per share base access permission for my samba shares and if this could generate issues on some other point I do not think about eg. issues accessing the Periodic Snapshots....

Last edited by a moderator:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Once again- I wanna get rid of windows acls equal to the samba param 'acl support = no' in FreeNAS to just realize a per share base access permission for my samba shares
That does not mean anything. You're mixing granularity of permissions with the type of permissions.

Using Samba means using ACLs. Samba handles the translation between ZFS NFSv4 ACLs and Windows ACLs. Anything else is a hack. Permissions are set at the filesystem level and you can apply as much or as little granularity as you'd like.

Status
Not open for further replies.