Slog & L2ARC 2021advise

ali_v001

Dabbler
Hey Guys,

I was hoping to get some advice on current Slog & L2ARC preferences, a lot of the drive comparisons online seem to be written in 2019. Not that long ago but I've seen some pretty fast SSD's flying off the shelves in the last few months.

Ideally, I'm looking to get both a Slog & L2ARC, also max my ram & purchase a non-rackmount APC. I would love the budget for this to be below £1000. I'm all for second hand / refurbed parts.
My initial thoughts are to get an Intel optane from eBay for the write cache. A super new ssd for the read? Whilst also maxing out the ddr3 ram in my system to 256gb.
It would be great to get some advice on the kind of drive sizes and speeds I need to be looking at for my system. Or even if some of them won't benefit me at all.
Also, what should I prioritize? I may not do this all at once, but it is all on the hitlist. I realise ram will be the first thing on the hit list in a lot of peoples opinions, but I do already have 128GB which seems a lot for my storage capacity.

It's quite common to be pulling down 3 - 600GB image sequences to workstations multiple times, so I imagine a large read cache would be good,
It's less common to have big writes but does happen just not as regular as the reads, also write speed is critical as it speeds up workflow when folks arn't constantly waiting for things to save. But we are usually not writing files as large as the reads.

There is a good chunk of infrequently accessed data 2 - 3tb but this needs to be there on tap throughout the year to be used as and when. So I imagine caching drives would help get the frequent data into super-fast storage saturating the aggregated 10GB links.

I don't have m.2 on the motherboard but plenty of PCIe slots,

My system specs and usage scenarios are in my signature.

Thanks