Self-host Revolt Chat

CaptPea

Cadet
Hi,

I just build my system mainly to host a local jellyfin server, plus backup of some data and a nextcloud server to use with Joplin. But I am trying to play around with my system a bit more and would like to self host a Revolt chat (https://github.com/revoltchat/self-hosted#custom-domain) for a small group of friends (about 10 - 15 people) as an alternative to our current discord server.

Has anyone tried anything similar so far? If so, I have a few questions.

The revolt.chat has the following prerequisites:
  • Docker
  • Docker Compose
  • Git
I noticed I can get the Docker compose from Truecharts. But I couldn´t find the Docker app. Should I just install it via the shell? Also, would the gitea app be able to replace Git?
And sorry for the Noob question. But can I in general treat Truenas Scale (my system) like linux? So I could just clone the git and follow the instructions from github, correct?

CaptPea

Cadet
Or should I run a Linux VM and run the Revolt.chat from there inside truenas?

LarsR

Guru
Truenas doens't use docker. Your only option is the docker-compose app from truecharts.

danb35

Hall of Famer
But can I in general treat Truenas Scale (my system) like linux?
No. TrueNAS SCALE is every bit as much an appliance as is CORE, and you shouldn't expect to be able to modify it without breaking things.

Looking briefly at the setup instructions you linked to, git is needed only in order to download the contents of the repo, so that wouldn't be a problem. But it doesn't seem that it would run by just feeding it a docker-compose.yml file, the way that docker-compose typically does. Your best bet might be to set up a virtual machine, and install it in there.