Selecting clock speed AMD FX 8350, any experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErlingK

Cadet
Hi, I need some advice on my FreeNas build.
I'm looking for others with Amd FX cpu and what clock they recommend or operate at.

My setup is:
CPU: AMD FX 8350
MB: M5A78L-M/USB3
RAM: Crucial 1866mhz ddr3 ecc
HBA: lsi 9211 IT
SSD: Boot-64GB, Log-128, L2ARC- 256GB
HDD: 3x Toshiba x300 5tb 7200rpm (Raid-Z1)

The server is primarily used for storage and plex media server.
Just finished setting up FTP server because i travel alot and need access.

The goal is to minimize power to reduce heat output, and mantaning suficent preformance.

freenas-supero

Contributor
While I do not own a FX CPU, I will nevertheless give you my 2 cents, and Im sure others more experienced with Freenas will weight in soon..

1. That CPU is awfully overkill for Freenas... If you want to reduce power consumption and heat, I strongly suggest an Intel CPU that supports power saving schemes (C-states).
2. While I am an ex-AMD fanboy, I must say AMD CPU's are notorious energy hogs and are not as efficient as Intel's in terms of power/energy ratio. My Proxmox server uses 2 Opterons CPU and draws 2.5x more energy at idle than my freenas server which uses a Xeon E3-1220v2 CPU even with 8 hard drives and 5 chassis fans spinning at 4000RPM..

A quick note on USB3: You indicated USB3 in your part-list. USB3 is sh** and not stable as I understand, esp. with Freebsd. Disable that.

Last edited by a moderator:

tvsjr

Guru
Yeah, if you're just building a Plex/media server, you're way overkill. Depending on the number of transcoding streams you need simultaneously, even the hot Atom solutions will work and be FAR more efficient. AMD isn't recommended around these parts.
IMO, you don't need a SLOG nor L2ARC to meet your requirements. Spend your money to max the RAM in the box instead (you didn't indicate how much RAM you intend to use).

And please don't go exposing FTP to the world. FTP sucks and needs to be taken out behind the barn. Run SFTP or do FTP over a VPN if you must.

ErlingK

Cadet
Thx for the answer!
Went with the amd cpu because i had the parts, only needed the ecc ram.
Went with 16GB of ram.
Also used the SSd's as SLOG and L2ARC because I had them laying around.
I'm using SFTP:)
Not using the USB3.0, only stated MB version.

So need help downclocking:D

Last edited by a moderator:

maglin

Patron
Those SSDs are going to hurt your performance. You don't have enough RAM or HDD space to even think about using a SLOG or L2ARC.

You need over 64GB of RAM and probably around 24TB of HDD before thinking of them. It will hurt you in the long run.

Also make sure the ECC is working. AMD has problems getting it to work properly so I've read on this board.

And I would turn off cores on the CPU and keep stock clocks. You will need the MHz for CIFs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tvsjr

Guru
Those SSDs are going to hurt your performance. You don't have enough RAM or HDD space to even think about using a SLOG or L2ARC.
Disagree. SLOG is a function of requiring sync writes (such as for a VM datastore). Whether 500GB or 500TB, without a SLOG, NFS/iSCSI will suck if sync writes are enabled. L2ARC is a function of ARC size, with the minimum ratio being 4:1... or 32GB of RAM for 128GB L2ARC... per a recent discussion.

You need over 64GB of RAM and probably around 24TB of HDD before thinking of them. It will hurt you in the long run.
My 2.7TB VM store disagrees with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.