Security Feature Request (ipfw)

Status
Not open for further replies.

akfoote

Cadet
First off freenas has come along way ... very nice!

I've recently been playing with and configuring this in a corp environment. We have big toys like netapp and equallogic in house so this is a side project for my random log storage... but what a great use :smile:

Anyway.. here goes my feature request.

I would like to see a "Restricted Access" config under the Settings tab.
This would be a place to control ipfw firewall rules per service.
Initially I'd like the ability to restrict management access (HTTP/HTTPS/SSH) services to a given network cidr block or specific host.
To make this work I think there should be a couple things that can happen or should be displayed on this "page".
o enable or disable ipfw (firewall) -- off by default
o list of current cidr / machine ips
o for those addresses that are present a checkbox to remove
o text box to enter cidr / machine ip

Further enhancements would be the ability to control these types of rules per enabled Service. So for example if a deployer wants to enable cifs for only a given subnet and the rest (of the world) don't even see this service when doing a nmap etc..

I'm sure there is some other stuff that others can add..

I'd like to note that this feature would make this product a whole lot more enticing as a player in the storage tier where it sits.

Open to thoughts bashing etc.. :smile: (( I don't have time at the moment to pull source and get a build env up but may someday ))

Great Product..

louisk

Patron
Typically this is solved with a firewall, or at least router ACL.

You can configure SSH to be key only, at which point a firewall doesn't really matter. No key, no entry. Of course, you need sane key management, but that is a different discussion.

akfoote

Cadet
Agreed .. yes you can stick an appliance on your network at the border. However, controlling access through a host-based firewall (ipfw) at least for the administrative services (http/https/ssh) is a much desired feature. This is especially true when your local network consists of 10s of thousands of IP addresses (/16 etc..).

louisk

Patron
Fair enough. Typically my experience is that, even when you allocate a /16 to a group, that group also has a firewall.

I won't deny there are use cases for being able to control access to some extent, I'm just not sure what security threat you will mitigate with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.