Seagate Exos X18 ST16000NM000J

rvassar

Guru
shots taken that have enormous sentimental value and I would never want to lose.
Since you made this statement, I have to add "RAID is not a backup." ZFS is one of the finest file systems available for data protection. But you still need a backup plan.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Hi ChrisRJ,
are you telling me to simply use the two mirrored disks with vdev data without any other vdev?
Yes
If yes, but in this case without 2 SSD disks for the vdev special I would have lower performance than using 2 disks for vdev data and 2 SSDs for vdev special
It's correct ?
Yes, to this as well. But what performance do you need? Premature performance optimization is never a good idea and from the high-level description you gave, there is nothing that indicates a hard need for an SSD-based metadata vdev.

Lastly, you are new to TrueNAS and ZFS and this would increase your overall risk.

I would start with 2 HDDs and check the performance. Then take it from there.

Etorix

Wizard
are you telling me to simply use the two mirrored disks with vdev data without any other vdev?
I can't speak for Chris, but if data security is high on the list, I'd get two more hard drives to make it a 4-wide raidz2 (or one extra drive to make it a 3-way mirror). With 16 TB drives, there could be quite a lot of data at risk in case a single drive would fail—hence double redundancy.
And then an external backup. (And then an off-site backup…)

I hope the 4000 MHz RAM is running at 3200 MHz, not overclocked by the consumer motherboard.