SAS 15.000 rpm vs SATA 7.200 rpm

Status
Not open for further replies.

camaral_sp

Cadet
I do not speak English and I hope I can ask the question correctly.
I'm starting to study the FreeNAS and saw that the RAID controllers are not suitable for work with ZFS and that many people use SATA drives.
There will be a real performance gain if I mount the FreeNAS with SAS hard drives 15,000 rpm instead of hard drives SATA 7200 rpm?

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Yes, but don't expect the same speed as some SSD for example...

pschatz100

Guru
I would ask your question a little differently. Explain what you want to do.

In many FreeNAS systems the overall performance is not limited by the drives themselves, but by other things.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you own the 15k drives and are looking for something useful to use them in, you can put them in FreeNAS if you want to use the pool for VMs. It's *not* straightforward how to use ZFS for VMs, so do lots of reading in our stickies.

If you are going to buy them, I'd recommend against it. They use a LOT of power, they get VERY hot, and they fail at a high rate from my experience. SSDs can give you far, far better performance without the downsides.

If you don't plan to use the pool for VMs, then the 15k will work, but they aren't going to make things faster than using 7200RPM drives (or even 5400 RPM drives). Personally I'd never use 15k RPM hard drives for anything except VMs.

camaral_sp

Cadet
I will not use VM. I need performance, in this case, I will use two 64GB SSDs mirrored to the FreeNAS system and three 1TB SSDs in raidz1 for the data.
Thank you for the explanation.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
It's useless to put SSDs for the boot drive to increase performance because FreeNAS is loaded in RAM, you will just improve the boot time and it's useless as a server isn't (or shouldn't, at least) rebooted very often anyway :)

Status
Not open for further replies.