Samba shares with local and LDAP users

CAEguy

Cadet
I want to switch from local users to LDAP for authentication so I set up a Truenas VM (12.0 U2.1) to test it out. I got LDAP configured and am able to log into smb shares via ldap users so the next thing I wanted to test was replacing an existing local user with an LDAP user having the same username as this would be convenient for a seamless rollout. In doing this I realized I couldn't log in with a local username/password at all, even if that user isn't in ldap.

In trying to figure out a fix I found this bug report (https://redmine.ixsystems.com/issues/2043) which states authentication only happens for LDAP users, however it's quite old.

My question is whether this is still the case, if I'm using LDAP for authentication can I also allow local accounts to log into their samba shares?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
That said, it's highly recommended to use AD rather than LDAP + samba schema for a variety of reasons (including overall security), and this will give you the ability to use AD users and local users simultaneously.