Samba and reading iSCSI extents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whotaketh

Dabbler
I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this, but indulge my ignorance anyway: Is it possible for CIFS to read existing iSCSI extents?

A little context: I used to have my Win 8 machine and Freenas box communicating via iSCSI. Then the iSCSI initiator on the Win 8 machine started throwing cryptic "Invalid Session ID" errors when reconnecting, so I set about looking for a different solution. Now I've got a working CIFS setup, but want to transfer the existing data from the extent into the new CIFS directory.

So I guess the larger question is: is this possible? If not directly, then through some sort of intermediary?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Connect to a machine via iscsi. Copy data over to cifs share

#stayparanoid

Whotaketh

Dabbler
You don't need windows...

#stayparanoid

Elaborate if you could please. I only have the aforementioned Win laptop and the Freenas box available to me. I tried using Ubuntu to read the disks, but apparently there's some Delphix feature Freenas is using that ZFS on Linux doesn't support.

Dave Genton

Contributor
I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this, but indulge my ignorance anyway: Is it possible for CIFS to read existing iSCSI extents?

A little context: I used to have my Win 8 machine and Freenas box communicating via iSCSI. Then the iSCSI initiator on the Win 8 machine started throwing cryptic "Invalid Session ID" errors when reconnecting, so I set about looking for a different solution. Now I've got a working CIFS setup, but want to transfer the existing data from the extent into the new CIFS directory.

So I guess the larger question is: is this possible? If not directly, then through some sort of intermediary?

NOT in the manner you want to, no. You need another machine with working iSCSI to read the extent, remove or copy the data to a CIFS share. Until you get iSCSI back that data is unreachable.

Status
Not open for further replies.