Running into "Trying to mount root from zfs:freenas-boot (etc)"

Status
Not open for further replies.

HHarkey

Cadet
Hello there, this is an edit from my original post, I have installed it and after booting for the first time I have again become stuck on a specific part. It's not necessarily a hard stop but it seems to be loading forever. I am currently sitting at this point:

Code:
Trying to mount root from zfs:freenas-boot/ROOT/default []...

I read DrKK's guide/workaround and that yielded no results for me, I am on an oldish system, does anyone have any tips, suggestions? Should I just let it be? (I have been here for about an hour and it hasn't moved :( )

Everything else is super speedy, so I guess it's just stuck.

Edit: I'm running the stable 9.3, installed on a Lexar 16gb flash stick. I have a foxconn motherboard that is about 6 years old so I am not sure of the model number. I have 6gb of ram inside, with a dual core 3.16ghz processor.

I'm gonna guess it's the motherboard?

Thanks again,

H

Last edited:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
FreeNAS 9.3 requires 8GB of RAM minimum to maintain stability. It is possible that you corrupted you boot device by having less than 8GB. In any case, I'd upgrade to 8GB of RAM as a first step since it is well-known that not having 8GB of RAM minimum results in FreeNAS behaving erratically.

It is very possible your hardware isn't entirely compatible. Foxconn isn't exactly in the class of products we recommend for a bunch of reasons.

HHarkey

Cadet
Okay, I was looking at some now motherboards earlier today and they aren't too expensive and 8gb of ram shouldn't be hard to come by, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.