Rsync.net ZFS?

brettyj

Dabbler
Hey,

I've recently switched to FreeNAS, and so far really like it. I previously had a duplicacy backup to backblaze b2, which I've just recently re-setup with FreeNAS, which works okay - but I had a thought about a more native way to do it.

I started reading about Rsync.net and ZFS replication, which under my understanding allows me to sync my data and snapshots to Rsync.net - having it use the same "language" as FreeNAS, with the same Snapshots etc seems quite nice.

Some things I don't quite understand though - ZFS Send does block incremental backups right? Even when sending snapshots? My internet connection isn't that fast, so that's very important to me. Also I don't quite understand encryption, as I've read conflicting stuff, are backups on Rsync.net encrypted? This is pretty important really, don't like the idea of storing my data unencrypted on 3rd party servers.

I'm aware I need a 1TB box minimum, which works out around £20 a month if I'm understanding correctly, which isn't too bad (although a lot more expensive than the £2 a month I'm paying backblaze b2 at the moment!) but if it feels more resilient, I'm more open to it. Restoring a file from Rsync via ZFS restore is doable isn't it?

I wouldn't want to backup my entire pool, as my Media stuff isn't important and will take too much space, just folders that are important, is this okay?

Is there a good article talking about using FreeNAS and Rsync.net together in ZFS mode? I'm not too familiar with using ZFS on the command line, but perfectly capable of learning and following a guide

Thanks!