rsync in progress, can I resume?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murac

Dabbler
I'm migrating to a new build and am in the process of transferring 12TB of data over to the new machine. I'm about 3.6TB done. I've read around that maybe ZFS Send would have been a better option for a one time transfer but i'm already a couple days invested here. Slow and stupid, but hopefully it works. My question is, however, will I be able to resume if I restart the system or some other random act disconnects them from eachother? I set up rsync through the gui. The sending side is the task. The receiving end is the module. Here's the output of "ps -axww | grep rsync":
Code:
21796  -  S       469:36.03 /usr/local/bin/rsync --daemon --config /usr/local/etc/rsync/rsyncd.conf

Edit: I also see that I left "delay updates" checked...probably gotta stick it out, I presume

Last edited:

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
In general, the ability to pick up an interrupted transfer without starting over is one of the main benefits of using rsync.

In the specific case where --delay-updates is used, I think you're OK if you resume the transfer using the same flags, but the documentation is a bit hard to follow on this.

Murac

Dabbler
Okay, so it happened. I was messing around with setting up VLANs on a new switch and caused my first broadcast storm. Great way to learn! Anyways, i restarted the machines and re-initiated the rsync task. It doesn't seem to be making any progress as far as total storage on the drive. I imagine it's rechecking every file that's already been transferred? This process is taking way longer than I was hoping and it's definitely because of the network.

I have access to both machines. I should just put all the disks into the same box and rsync or replicate it locally, huh? I've never transferred a zpool to a new machine before so I tried to shortcut it. That backfired.

So, I need to export the zpool, transfer the drives, then import the zpool in the other freenas system? Is there any special consideration on the order of the drives when installing them?

Then once I have 2 zpools in freenas just do a ZFS Send of the dataset I want copied? Do you all agree this is the best method?

thanks

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Then once I have 2 zpools in freenas just do a ZFS Send of the dataset I want copied? Do you all agree this is the best method?
Putting all the disks in one box will deliver the fastest transfer. You could zfs send a snapshot, if retaining full filesystem structure is important, or rsync, if being able to quit and resume is important.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.