Rsync behaviour

RMAZOUZI

Explorer
Hello I have a question regarding the Rsync behaviour
When we make synchronisation at first time through rsync
So the second synchronisation does it start from the beguening or it just compare and update new modifications
Please answer me it is important to save bandwidth in the production environment

So the second synchronisation does it start from the beguening or it just compare and update new modifications
It only sends/applies the changes. New files, modified files, and deleted files.

Keep in mind that it must crawl the entire directory tree (and all files), even if nothing has changed. This is how it knows what to transfer or delete. By default it considers a file of the same name but with either a different timestamp or size to be "modified", which it will send to the destination.

If the destination is a ZFS or Btrfs filesystem, I highly recommend you use the --inplace auxiliary parameter.

Last edited:

RMAZOUZI

Explorer
It only sends/applies the changes. New files, modified files, and deleted files.

Keep in mind that it must crawl the entire directory tree (and all files), even if nothing has changed. This is how it knows what to transfer or delete. By default it considers the a file of the same name but with either a different timestamp or size to be "modified", which it will send to the destination.

If the destination is a ZFS or Btrfs filesystem, I highly recommend you use the --inplace auxiliary parameter.
Thanks very much for your answer and about the detail provided

Whattteva

Wizard
Keep in mind that there is also a caveat to this diff mechanism. It doesn't work well for VM disk images (if you have any) and would tend to transfer the entire file even if it barely changes. VM disk images are better replicated using zfs snapshots send/recv.

RMAZOUZI

Explorer

Keep in mind that it must crawl the entire directory tree (and all files), even if nothing has changed. This is how it knows what to transfer or delete. By default it considers a file of the same name but with either a different timestamp or size to be "modified", which it will send to the destination.

Could I get notification by email after the ending of the rsync tasks ?

Could I get notification by email after the ending of the rsync tasks ?
You'd have to set it under Alert Settings and Services.

You could set the "Rsync Success" alert as "Critical". It's kind of weird, since it'll be treated as a "critical" alert, simply to inform you the Rsync Task has completed.