Replication works - for a while

Status
Not open for further replies.

speacock

Cadet
Replication only works for a while

I wonder if anyone can help with some problems I'm having with snapshots and replication.

I've got replication set-up and apparently working, I had some teething trouble with SSH authentication, but then realised the documentation was incorrect, so overcame that. I also realised there was an error in the documentation that instructs you to enter the remote path with a leading /mnt, again, I'm past that point.

I have replication working up to a point.

I have one volume - v0 and a number of datasets beneath this
I have set-up a snapshot for the volume
I have set-up individual snapshots for each dataset

The snapshots work and they replicate just fine

On the REMOTE system I can see all the data, nicely replicated

Then the next snapshot/replication cycle kicks off and again all the snapshots work and are replicated, however, when I now look at the filesystem on REMOTE, all the data other than that in the v0 (i.e. the parent volume of all the other datasets) has vanished

A zfs list shows all the filesystems as there and of the right sizes

Subsequent snapshots and replications work and the zfs volume/dataset sizes adjust appropriately when I do a zfs list, but the data cannot be seen.

Can anyone shed any light into where I'm going wrong. I'm sure I'm 99% there, but there's just one piece of the jigsaw missing, and the documentation isn't a lot of help, particularly as there are quite a few errors in it.

Thanks in advance.

louisk

Patron
When you say the data can't be seen, are you talking about CIFS/NFS/Appletalk and/or are you logging in to the CLI and doing an 'ls'?

speacock

Cadet
When you say the data can't be seen, are you talking about CIFS/NFS/Appletalk and/or are you logging in to the CLI and doing an 'ls'?

Thanks for replying.

Both. If I share the dataset over CIFS, AFP or NFS, there is nothing there, if I cd to the mount point at the CLI and do an ls, there's nothing there, if I run df, it shows a load of filesystems, all with space in use, if I use zfs list that too show the volumes and datasets there, but I cannot see anything in the child datasets.

The files in the parent volume are visible, but once the second lot of replication has happened, the files in the child dataset aren't. So they are there after the initial replication, but once a second replication of perhaps a few changes has happened, everything disappears. I'm not sure if permissions are being set strangely, but I would have thought that logged in as root I should be able to see everything.

speacock

Cadet
More information

In my continuing attempts to try to get this working, today I did the following:

Went to my REMOTE system and deleted all the replicated snapshots.

The data re-appeared, all there and perfectly accessible, however, as soon as the next replication cycle commenced, it all disappeared again and the replication seems to be starting from scratch as though the existing data isn't there.

I cannot figure out what is going on. I clearly have something configured incorrectly, though I can't see what.

Any help or input greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.