Rebooting after install

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsanders58

Cadet
I've installed FreeNAS 8 on an older workstation I have, with plans to beef it up with drives and provide NFS mounts for a VSphere 5 lab setup.

The installation appears to proceed with no major issues and the application starts and provides expected result for a brief period. I can login into the web session and begin to configure an attached drive, but the machine constantly reboots. Obviously something is not as it should be, so I guess my question is where can I obtain a log that will point me in the right direction? I am not literate in FreeBSD and my background is solely windows and from a user.admin perspective, so be easy on me.

Thanks in advance.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If it's rebooting without doing a proper shutdown then you have some kind of hardware issue. Maybe test your RAM.

I will tell you that the logs are wiped on each bootup. If you want to look at the logs you'll need to setup a syslog server and have FreeNAS send its logs to a syslog. Of course, if your machine is just rebooting without a shutdown I'm not sure a syslog will be able to help you.

bsanders58

Cadet
Thanks...

I replaced RAM and reinstalled on a different USB device and all is well... I guess I'll never quite know what it was but appreciate the direction.

If it's rebooting without doing a proper shutdown then you have some kind of hardware issue. Maybe test your RAM.

I will tell you that the logs are wiped on each bootup. If you want to look at the logs you'll need to setup a syslog server and have FreeNAS send its logs to a syslog. Of course, if your machine is just rebooting without a shutdown I'm not sure a syslog will be able to help you.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Glad I could help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.