re-installed Freenas on new SD Card - how to get the data?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr_pcox

Cadet
I really hope this is a simple question with a simple answer... here goes.

After a recent reboot, I discovered that the SD card that Freenas 9.1.0 was installed on is no longer working properly. My computer no longer sees it as a bootable media. So I put in a new SD Card, and re-installed Freenas from a CD. As expected, all the configurations are gone.

Can anyone tell me how to get all my data back?

I have been frantically searching the forums, but my limited knowledge with BSD/Freenas is really not allowing me to find the proper steps. I was able to get to the Shell, and found a few commands that seem useful.

Code:
[root@freenas] /# zpool status
pool: asVOL
state: ONLINE
scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0h31m with 0 errors on Sat Nov 9 23:31:36 2013
config:
NAME                                            STATE    READ WRITE CKSUM
asVOL                                           ONLINE      0    0    0
  raidz1-0                                      ONLINE      0    0    0
    gptid/500b997e-0d03-11e3-b04b-001921e8320e  ONLINE      0    0    0
    gptid/50da6351-0d03-11e3-b04b-001921e8320e  ONLINE      0    0    0
    gptid/51d34d63-0d03-11e3-b04b-001921e8320e  ONLINE      0    0    0
errors: No known data errors

Code:
[root@freenas] /# zpool list
NAME    SIZE  ALLOC  FREE    CAP  DEDUP  HEALTH  ALTROOT
asVOL  5.44T  383G  5.06T      6%  1.00x  ONLINE  -
[root@freenas] /#

I think the output above is telling me that all the data is still intact... but how to put everything back together? Do I just use ZFS Volume Manager to create a new Volume?

Thanks in advance.

dr_pcox

Cadet
Auto Import Volume didn't work for me. The Volume drop down box was blank. I have attached an image of the Auto Import Volume box.

Attachments

• freenas_auto_import.jpg
    freenas_auto_import.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 246

warri

Guru
Did you already import your pool manually via the CLI? Because you got some output for "zpool status", which usually means that it's already imported. If you did import it from CLI, you have to export it first for the auto-import to work.

dr_pcox

Cadet
Thank you Warri! That worked. However, now I have another challenge. I don't have a backup on the configuration. Any idea how I can get the CIFS shares back?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you don't have a backup of your config file you'll have to set them up again from scratch. :(

Dusan

Guru
I don't have a backup on the configuration. Any idea how I can get the CIFS shares back?
If you still have the old SD card there is a chance that even when it doesn't boot the config DB is still readable. You may want to try to to mount the fourth partition/slice on the card in FreeBSD (or Linux should also be able to read UFS). The config DB is the file named freenas-v1.db.

dr_pcox

Cadet
Just realize what a silly question I posted. Thanks a bunch fellows. Everything is good now. Really glad to have this n00b forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.