RAIDZ2 with 5 Drives - Performance?

citrate

Cadet
Hello there! I used to utilize a mini PC for network storage and am planning to upgrade to a "real" NAS recently. I decided to build a NAS PC from scratch, with a 5-HDD-slot chassis, and to use TrueNAS and RAIDZ. I'm planning to use five "second-hand retired enterprise-level E-waste 14 TB hard drives" to save my budget. For the safety of my data, I decided to use RAIDZ2 (They are e-waste!). Then I found these posts stating that there are performance issues using RAIDZ2 on 5 hard drives:

From those posts, it seems that the block size or stripe size or something in RAIDZ2 is not optimal for 5 disks? But about 10 years have passed since these posts! I wonder is there any improvement of ZFS on this so that there's no longer a performance issue for RAIDZ2 on 5 drives? Or, if the issue persists, is it as bad as the past?

Arwen

MVP
Welcome to the forums!

See this article, written by one of the designers & writers of ZFS;

jgreco

Resident Grinch
But about 10 years have passed since these posts! I wonder is there any improvement of ZFS on this so that there's no longer a performance issue for RAIDZ2 on 5 drives?

The fundamentals don't change just because time passes. The common car of today goes about as fast as the common car of ten years ago.... it's just the way that the physics and science work out.

RAIDZ is optimized for large sequential file storage, with a relatively small number of simultaneous accesses. It maximizes the available storage by using RAID rather than mirroring, and maximizes the recoverability by using a better RAID parity scheme. The cost is that this causes more drives to be involved in many pool accesses. Until this changes, and it isn't likely to change, you're going to be limited by head seek times and other similar factors.

citrate

Cadet
Welcome to the forums!

See this article, written by one of the designers & writers of ZFS;
Thanks! Just finished reading. I think TL;DR for me is “use compression, choose whatever Z1 or Z2 depending on my confidence on the disks”, right? :)

Arwen

MVP
Thanks! Just finished reading. I think TL;DR for me is “use compression, choose whatever Z1 or Z2 depending on my confidence on the disks”, right? :)
Yes, that sums it up.

If you have good backups and want to risk RAID-Z1 with larger disks, then that is fine.
On the other hand, if you don't have good backups, then perhaps RAID-Z2 would be a better choice.