RaidZ vs Mirroring SSD for Plex/.System files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krowvin

Explorer
I know there was an older post about RaidZ vs Mirroring for hard drives. I'm fairly certain those were large drives too so I apologize if the logic is similar for my scenario!

I have three 120GB SSD and i'm trying to determine what the best setup would be for moving my jails(plex/sab/sickrage)/.system files over to it.

While it's my understanding that mirroring provides performance at the cost of a higher risk factor.
RaidZ would be essentially the opposite at a higher cost per GB, less performance, with smaller risk depending on if you go Z1/Z2/Z3. I also think I read something about a small failure time for SSD especially those that are small in size.

I have 6 x 2TB WD Reds in a RaidZ2 config. So i'd like to keep everything sensitive on the Z2 Pool.

There's one thing i'm really not sure about still:

2 SSD for Mirror?
2 SSD for RaidZ1 with one of those being redundancy
3 SSD for RaidZ1 with one as redudancy and the third as a speed boost? Does it work that way? and is it even close to the efficiency of a 2SSD Mirror?

If I were to run a 2SSD Mirror could I schedule snapshots of the .system/plex/jails files to restore from in the event one or both of the SSDs fail destroying the dataset/mirror. Or will I be S.O.L ? I'm not 100% on taking snapshots on one dataset/pool and storing them on another pool.

Some insight would be greatly appreciated. Perhaps I need to RTFM harder or take another round on Cyberjock's PowerPoint that talked about Datasets/Volumes/Pools.

danb35

Hall of Famer
You can't put two disks (or SSDs) in RAIDZ1; that requires a minimum of three disks. Really, the question comes down to your capacity requirements. Unless you're going to run a VirtualBox jail and keep your VMs inside that jail (rather than on your main pool), 120 GB of space for the jails and .system dataset should be plenty. There really isn't any significant difference in data protection between a two-disk mirror and a three-disk RAIDZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.