BUILD QNAP TS-412 replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpr

Cadet
Hi,

I am looking to replace my QNAP TS-412 for a Freenas build.
I use the nas to store my backups but the transfer rates are just about 30Mb/s which is too slow.
The Qnap was running on a RAID 5 config.

I was thinking about the Chenbro ES34169 chassis.
What motherboard do you guys recommend? Intel atom or amd E.

Only requirement it should get full transfer speeds.

Any comment is appreciated!

gpsguy

Start by reading the sticky: So you want some hardware suggestions

I presume by "full transfer speeds", you are aiming for ~100Mb/s. You won't achieve it with an "Intel atom or amd E". Most of them top out at 50-60.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Also, "full transfer speeds" is a heinously vague requirement. Wanting full transfer speeds for writing small files all over the place is a totally different requirement from full transfer speeds when reading large gigabyte media files.

An Atom is perfectly capable of hitting 100MB/sec, just not with ZFS and RAIDZ2 in the mix. Ought to have no real problem hitting full speed on a non-mirrored UFS system with Intel ethernets and NFS for large sequential file reads. I don't expect doing it on FreeNAS would be too much of a problem.

But you notice there's a bunch of carefully picked qualifiers in there. Five of them, in fact. Embiggening the system reduces the qualifiers necessary. Faster CPU makes CIFS perform the way NFS does on a slower CPU. Intel ethernets reduce CPU requirements and sometimes a little bit of latency, making an Atom appear to be a bit faster. Turning off redundancy eliminates some latency involved in keeping things in sync. UFS is inherently faster than ZFS (which actually requires a page of caveats because that's not *always* true, maybe better to say "UFS is inherently more prudent with system resources"). Large sequential file reads are usually easier on a system. Etc.

The hardware suggestion list gpsguy gave is a good starting point. It's lacking on a few things I wanted to point out though. Speaking of which, I should go do some more of that...

rpr

Cadet
The nas will be used to store big backup files on. I want a lot of capacity so RAIDZ is a requirement.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Sounds like you should maybe consider a low-end Pentium like the G2020. Think there have been some success stories posted here of smaller systems based on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.