promiscuous mode enabled ? Is this affecting NAS local streaming speed ?

numbertwo

Dabbler
I'm not sure when did it happened, but i found out today that the streaming speed from my NAS to my home media is lagging and almost choking.

I did the upgrade to TrueNAS-12.0-U3.1 five days ago. So i went into the Truenas admin console, i noticed that there is this 'promiscuous mode enabled', i don't remember seeing this in the previous releases, does this has any effect to my sudden network speed drops?

May 15 14:13:58 freenas kernel: epair0a: link state changed to UP
May 15 14:13:58 freenas kernel: epair0b: link state changed to UP
May 15 14:13:58 freenas kernel: epair0a: changing name to 'vnet0.1'
May 15 14:13:59 freenas kernel: bridge0: link state changed to UP
May 15 14:13:59 freenas kernel: re0: promiscuous mode enabled
May 15 14:13:59 freenas kernel: vnet0.1: promiscuous mode enabled
May 15 14:13:59 freenas kernel: re0: link state changed to DOWN
May 15 14:14:01 freenas kernel: lo0: link state changed to UP
May 15 14:14:03 freenas kernel: re0: link state changed to UP

i only has got one jail running qBittorent, it has both VNET & Berkeley Packet Filter ticked.

HDD statuses in the Dashboard show OK with 0 disk write error.

Anyone has a clue ? Thanks in advance.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
May 15 14:13:59 freenas kernel: re0: promiscuous mode enabled
You're using a realtek NIC... that's likely to be the source of the issues... promiscuous mode is not.

All promiscuous mode means is that the NIC will listen to traffic for more than one MAC address (required for jails to work).

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Realtek or not
  • disable autostart for all jails
  • reboot
  • create an interface of type bridge named bridge0
  • set the physical interface as the member
  • in the physical interface check the box "Disable Hardware Offloading" - this is mandatory!
  • in the physical interface remove the IP configuration - no static address, no DHCP, nothing
  • put IP configuration on bridge0 instead
  • test and save
  • reboot for good measure
  • re-enable jails

tommoose13

Cadet
I tried to follow your instructions @Patrick M. Hausen for troubleshooting a different issue, and when trying to create the bridge in the gui I'm only seeing one field for ip address; when left blank and I hit "apply" the mandatory checkbox says "Offloading capabilities is not supported for bridge interfaces." Am I doing something wrong?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You need to check the "Disable Hardware Offloading" box in the physical interface settings, not in the bridge interface settings. Also if the physical interface has got an IP address configured, don't forget to remove that and put it on the bridge interface instead.