Problem when removing zpool with system dataset

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomymaster

Contributor
Hi

I just setup a 9.2.1.5 FreeNAS to test Windows 2008R2 AD membership, but i found something strange i think:

I setup the basic settings and then created a zpool (striped-mirror). After that i wanted to remove it and create another zpool with the disks. I removed the pool from the UI (no problem) and created another one.
However when i did that i could not see anything under "View Volumes", "View Disks" gave me a strange view as well (see attached screenshot) and the console menu was empty.

After a reboot it was fine again and the new zpool showed up.

Could this be an issue related to removing the zpool and the .system dataset beeing deleted. In this case wouldn't it make sense that the data in the dataset is beeing copied to the /data partition and once another zpool is created, copied back (or is this already implemented)?

Cheers

Thomy

Attachments

• FreeNAS.jpg
    FreeNAS.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 238

Thomymaster

Contributor
More precise info:

When the situation is as described above (the new zpool is not shown in GUI) and i logout and login again, the pool is visible. However then i get a warning that no system dataset is available and i should configure one under "settings".
The console menu is still not working then. When i configure the system dataset the warning goes away.

After a reboot the console menu is working. If i have not configured a system dataset before the reboot it will be autoconfigured during the reboot meaning the warning message went away.

I think that the system dataset should automatically be configured when a new zpool is set up. Because when its not, and you reboot afterwards, it is added anyway.

warri

Guru
Sounds reasonable, or maybe have an additional checkbox like "use this pool for system dataset" when creating a pool? Put a ticket on https://bugs.freenas.org :)

Status
Not open for further replies.