Problem Accessing CIFS share

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciphyx

Cadet
After a power failure that rebooted the NAS I am unable to access the shares by name or IP address. When I try to map via net use command I get system error 1351. Windows says the user name could not be found. Nothing has changed but the reboot and this has been in operation for over 2 years. I was able to access the share for a moment but then started coping files from the share. After about 20 files it stopped with an access error and now wont reconnect.

I have tried restarting the cifs service from the gui.
Verion 8.0.4. I am scared to reboot the unit again or upgrade until we get a viable backup solution for the VM's in place.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

gpsguy

Do a fresh install of 8.0.4 on a new 4Gb flash drive. Backup your current configuration file via the webGUI and restore it on the new flash drive. You can do the install/restore on another computer.

Once done, you should be able to boot off the new device.

Later, think about upgrading the OS. Ensure that you have sufficient RAM, if you decide to upgrade to 9.x. We have had a number of users recently who tried to jump from 8.0.4 to the latest only to find out they needed more RAM.

Sent from my phone

Ciphyx

Cadet
Unit is in a datacenter 1500 miles away. Rebuilding isn't an option. There has to be a server/process/config issue since this has been working such a long time.

Ciphyx

Cadet
When I try to map from a windows machine using net use I get "the local security authority database contains an internal inconsistency". This maybe a false windows error accessing the share or a clue.

Thanks

Robert

gpsguy

Search the forum or read the manual - you will find that it's common for the boot device (usually a flash drive) to get corrupted after a power failure. That's why a UPS with the OS configured to shutdown the system gracefully in the event of a power failure is recommended.

You are lucky that you haven't lost your data. Some user'a haven't been so fortunate,

Just because it's 1500 miles away and was not set up with backups, etc. doesn't mean it can be fixed without some human interaction.

Sent from my phone

Status
Not open for further replies.