"Previous Versions" Tab in Folder and File Properties on Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

leenux_tux

Patron
Not sure where to put this as it's related to both automated snapshots and CIFS.....

I have been using FreeNAS for sometime now and am very pleased with it. (big thanks to the developers !!!). I have been having an annoying problem with CIFS that I am trying to fix (not going to ask about it here, will continue researching for a while yet) but noticed something "interesting" whilst I was looking for a fix...

1, I have a bunch of volumes on my FreeNAS box that are regularly snapshot between 09:00 and 18:00, every three hours, keeping only 7 days worth of copies.
2, When browsing the shares via Windows XP (haven't had chance to try another version yet) if I select a folder, look at the properties, there is a tab for "Previous Versions". there are seven versions available (which matches the 7 days worth of copies), however, I would have thought that there would have been 4 copies per day (09:00 to 18:00, every three hours).

Questions/Comments.
1, I don't remember seeing anything documented about a relationship between FreeNAS snaphosts and Windows "previous versions" ?? Is this something new (I'm running FreeNAS-8.0.4-RELEASE-p3-x64 (11703), haven't updated my sig yet). Don't get me wrong, I think this functionality could be of great use if it is what I think it is !!
2, If it's doing what it's supposed to be doing, how come I don't see 4 copies per day ?
3, Has anyone else "played with/tested" this functionality ?

Thanks in advance

Leenux_tux

Status
Not open for further replies.