SOLVED Possible to replace larger Raid-1 (16TB) Disks with smaller (14 TB) disks?

ObiTobi

Patron
Hello,

I have a Raid-1 with 2 16 TB hard disks. Storage space is used at about 6TB. I would like to replace the disks with smaller 14TB. Is this possible? Will the available space be reduced automatically or will this not work at all and the synchronization will be denied?

Assuming you are already using the the full disk capacity, you can replace smaller drives one at a time with larger disks, then expand the pool, but not the other way around.

If you have at least 1 spare bay, you could add the smaller drive, create a new smaller pool, migrate your data to the new smaller pool, remove one of your larger drives and install the second smaller drive, add it to the new smaller pool. You would also have to make sure to migrate all your jails/plugins/apps/vms/etc. to the new smaller pool. Highly recommended to backup your data first in the event something goes wrong, which you should be doing anyway as part of your 3-2-1 backup strategy.

The new disk must have the same or greater capacity as the disk you are replacing.

If it were me, I wouldn't touch it.

Last edited: