Plex 11.2 FreeNAS Setup

Daniels25143

Dabbler
Hello, I'm beating my head against a wall trying to get plex setup on freenas with metadata working. I have tried setting up using guide from various sources, but anytime I enable VNET, I can no longer access my plex server. My setup is as follows:
FreeNAS 11.2U1
LAN: vmx0 10.10.10.0/24 network. Freenas is on 10.10.10.13
Plex is assigned an IP of 10.10.10.3/24
VNET enabled
Berkeley Packet Filter enabled
IPv4 Interface: vmx0
Ipv4 default router: 10.10.10.1
allow.raw_sockets is checked.

Am I missing anything? Any assistance, or guides that show a working setup would be fantasic!

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
There is zero changes involved in getting plex setup.

1. Create jail with default options for everything, don't change anything. The only thing you might want to change is DHCP or static ip. If you select DHCP the vnet option gets auto selected.
2. pkg install plexmediaserver
3. sysrc plexmediaserver_enabled="YES"
4. service plexmediaserver start

Do you have multiple nic's on the freenas box connected to your network? You can't have that when using jails and it's an incorrect setup anyways even without jails.

Daniels25143

Dabbler
Sorry, I am trying to setup using the plugin feature, not via jails, so I don't think the advice above applies.

Yes there are multiple NICs connected to the FreeNAS box. One is for NFS storage of VM's, and other is for windows shares.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Sorry, I am trying to setup using the plugin feature, not via jails, so I don't think the advice above applies.

Yes there are multiple NICs connected to the FreeNAS box. One is for NFS storage of VM's, and other is for windows shares.
Are they on the same subnet? If yes you can't do that and need unplug one.

Boneshark

Cadet
I have a simple question (I hope) - I have setup plex on my Freenas 11.2 according to the instructions and all is working well. The structure looks like:
Basically a simple setup of a single pool with a plex installation. The pool contains several directories of media files as well as the plex jail. Structured like this (some directories left out)
/mnt/NAS_5TB
NAS_5TB/Acronis​
NAS_5TB/MacBackup​
NAS_5TB/Mike​
NAS_5TB/Music (this has all the media files)
NAS_5TB/iocage​
NAS_5TB/iocage/jails​
NAS_5TB/iocage/jails/plex​
NAS_5TB/iocage/jails/plex/root​
NAS_5TB/iocage/jails/plex/root /media​
NAS_5TB/iocage/jails/plex/root/media/mountpoint back to NAS_5TB/Music
My question concerns backing this up via rsync (maybe in the wrong part of the forum). When I run the rsynch (with the archive option) it copies not only the media from NAS_5TB/Music but also duplicates the media files when copying NAS_5TB/iocage/jails/plex/root/media/mountpoint back to NAS_5TB/Music so I have 1.5 TB of duplicate data. How can I prevent rsync from copying this duplicate data that is just mounted in the plex media folder? Should I exclude the folder in rsynch or is there a better way?

Daniels25143

Dabbler
Are they on the same subnet? If yes you can't do that and need unplug one.
No they are on different subnets. The freenas server was fully functioning, just trying to add Plex via the plug-in. When I run through the setup, I can add media, however the metadata doesn't show up.

When I try to correct the metadata issue, I can no longer access the website management of Plex. Any help would be appreciated!!

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
how are you correcting the metadata issue?

In your jail can you ping your gateway? Can you ping 8.8.8.8? Can you ping google.com?