photo management app idea

jasonj

Cadet
Hi
I'm thinking about create a photo management app, like the Synology photo station, but for wider audiences.
The whole idea is privacy-first.
It can use storage backend of your choice, NAS, dropbox, google drive, etc. You can opt to encrypt it before uploading.
And you can do AI processing on your local machine, NAS or PC. No uploading data to the cloud. You can get the AI generated tags for photos, like food, sea, cats, etc. And also face recognition.
Another thing that I think would be interesting is customizable filters. Say I want to find the photos that was taken within 50 miles of NYC, with my mom in the photo and sorted by altitude. It would be a great tool when playing personal trivia.
What do you guys think of the idea?
Thanks

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
It sounds a lot like photoprism.

danb35

Hall of Famer
...which is available as an app on SCALE, both from iX and from TrueCharts. TrueCharts also has photoview, photoshow, and librephotos. And pixapop, lychee, and possibly even others I missed while scrolling through the catalog.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
You might also be able to count NextCloud /OwnCloud (although lacking the AI categorization out of the box... I think it may be possible to add somehow, but the encryption part is certainly there)... and also darktable might count, although it's more about editing/developing the photos than categorizing and sharing.

canosgmk

Dabbler
Too bad Photoprism don't work well with Truenas Core or Scale.

every install i ever did, the puts the thumbnails in the IX-Apps folder and then once everything is indexed, it deletes the temp files. Which breaks the path for all the photos and videos.

Been working on this for a year and still can't get it to work. Even tried working with the discord people. The general information is get is, 'don't use it'.

Hi
I'm thinking about create a photo management app, like the Synology photo station, but for wider audiences.
The whole idea is privacy-first.
It can use storage backend of your choice, NAS, dropbox, google drive, etc. You can opt to encrypt it before uploading.
And you can do AI processing on your local machine, NAS or PC. No uploading data to the cloud. You can get the AI generated tags for photos, like food, sea, cats, etc. And also face recognition.
Another thing that I think would be interesting is customizable filters. Say I want to find the photos that was taken within 50 miles of NYC, with my mom in the photo and sorted by altitude. It would be a great tool when playing personal trivia.
What do you guys think of the idea?
Thanks
Great idea! It's wonderful that you prioritize privacy and a variety of storage options.