SOLVED Persist changes in /etc/local/sudoers for remote shutdown via SSH

elektropepi

Cadet
I want to write a program that remotely shuts down my TrueNAS server. When I enable sudo for the user myuser, the command ssh myuser@hostname -t "sudo poweroff" is actually enough.

But I don't want to give that user full sudo access, he should only be able to use the poweroff command. I can achieve this by modifying the /etc/local/sudoers file and adding the following line myuser ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: /sbin/poweroff. But as expected, this change isn't persisted over reboots.

How can I persist changes to the sudoer file (since more detailed sudo restrictions are not possible with TrueNAS configurations according to the source code)?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
The simplest is to create an Init/Shutdown task, which runs Post Init, and appends the line you want to /etc/local/sudoers.

elektropepi

Cadet
Thanks for your response, I should try it this way.

I'm just quite unsure whether this could brick my installation, e.g. when a new TrueNAS update requires some line to be at the bottom of /etc/local/sudoers.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
From what I've seen on my system, the GUI inserts entries at the top of /etc/local/sudoers, so you should be safe appending to the bottom.