Partitioning a HD in a mirror and a stripe

Gbra

Cadet
Hi, I've just installed TrueNas Scale in Proxmox, I manage to get the storage to show up, and now I've been trying to partition the one 1TB drive that I have so I can create a mirror in a pool and a stripe in another. From the things I've read I thought it was possible to do that, but I might be wrong since I don't have much experience with linux, especially in the terminal.

Like I said I'm pretty inexperienced on this whole thing, I tried searching for a way to do what I want, but since my knowledge on it is not very big, I've come to a point where, the things that I found didn't solve my problem or I just couldn't make them work. So if anyone could point at a direction or tell me how I could do that, I would greatly appreciate it.

danb35

Hall of Famer
TrueNAS doesn't support partitioning your data disks. It's theoretically possible from the command line if you know what you're doing, but it's likely to cause problems with pool administration and thus strongly discouraged.

Gbra

Cadet
I see, independently of being discouraged I would like to know how it's done, since I'm not going to store necessarily store any extremely important data, I don't see a problem with the potential risks.

And in case i choose not to do it for the sake keeping things simple, would there be a way to "mirror" a specific folder in different stripes, maybe by a third party software?

danb35

Hall of Famer
I would like to know how it's done
Leaving aside the "why," what exactly is it you want to do? "partition the one 1TB drive that I have so I can create a mirror in a pool and a stripe in another" just doesn't make any sense. Sure, it's possible (at the CLI) to create a pool consisting of two partitions on the same disk mirrored, but why? If you're wanting to avoid data corruption in the case of a bad sector, the better answer would be to get a second drive, or failing that to set copies=2 on the pool or dataset in question.
would there be a way to "mirror" a specific folder in different stripes
Again, I have no idea what this means. I'd suggest you do some reading about the basics of ZFS, because your questions strongly suggest you don't understand them at all. Here's one recommended resource:

Gbra

Cadet
what exactly is it you want to do?

I want to split a drive in two, to put one of the parts as a stripe, and the other part as mirror with another smaller hd that I have. Or does TrueNas not accepted multiple functions to the same drive?

Don't know if it clarified, but don't really know how to explain this better

Again, I have no idea what this means.

About this question, I think it's not really in the topic for the forum, probably why you didn't understand. I didn't mean for the TrueNas to be able to do that, but do that from another computer. But like I said i think it's out of the scope of the forum. Sorry about that.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Or does TrueNas not accepted multiple functions to the same drive?
No, it doesn't. You can set up two pools this way using the CLI, but that configuration is going to be pretty much unmanageable from the GUI.

Gbra

Cadet
I see, is there any guide( Or base that I could follow) on how to do that. Don't know if will follow through with that idea but still would like to know how it works

danb35

Hall of Famer
Frankly, if you're asking for a guide, it probably isn't something you should be trying to do. But with that said, you'd start with partitioning a disk under FreeBSD, e.g.:
...and then go into creating ZFS pools, e.g.: