panic: kmem_malloc kmem_map too small

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatMan

Dabbler
hello,
My frenas server has been running well lately although it has slowed down more recently.
Specs: It was originally a game server so it should be speced up well
Freenas beta 8.2 using zfs
msi 790fx main board
8gb ddr3
AMD x4 cpu 3.2ghz
pool 1 3x wd 1.5tb
pool 2 2x samsung 2tb

it ran fine for a few days then upon some large copying from my desktop to the server:
panic: kmem_malloc(131072): kmem_map too small: 14659
09248 total allocated
cpuid = 0
uptime: 2d10h34m49s

ANy help is greatly appreciated

Bever

Explorer
Are you using the 64bit version? You can tweak kmem settings, but I found out that just using x64 instead of i386 solved all kernel panics :)

CatMan

Dabbler
Are you using the 64bit version? You can tweak kmem settings, but I found out that just using x64 instead of i386 solved all kernel panics :)
Yes I believe I made sure to get the x64 iso.
Build FreeNAS-8.2.0-BETA2-x64 (r10638)

Bever

Explorer

CatMan

Dabbler
thanks both,
on a machine with 8gb ddr3, what values should I set for
vm.kmem_size=
vm.kmem_size_max=

thanks!

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi CatMan,

First thing I would do is memtest the box. Grab a copy from here:

http://memtest.org/#downiso

It takes a while to chew through 8GB of memory so let it run overnight....if you wake up to a half dozen passes completed without errors you are in fine shape.

-Will

CatMan

Dabbler
I took me some convincing at first, but with the 64bit version of FreeNAS you don't need to set those.

If you're using 8.2 Beta-3, you can use the new Autotune feature (which isn't perfect either).

Here are the docs:

http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Settings#Autotune

Thanks I will try the autotune.
I am running 8.2 beta 2

Hi CatMan,

First thing I would do is memtest the box. Grab a copy from here:

http://memtest.org/#downiso

yeah I memtested the box before I installed freenas. All came up fine,
I think its due to the tuning on the b

It takes a while to chew through 8GB of memory so let it run overnight....if you wake up to a half dozen passes completed without errors you are in fine shape.

-Will

Thanks, I ran memtest right before I installed freenas, luckily no errors.
so using ZFS with a more then cabable cpu and the 8gb of ram, what would be the best settings for the varibles?
I did read up on them but most people had around 2-4gb and were using the x86 version

under tunables this is what I have now:

kern.ipc.nmbclusters
vfs.zfs.arc_max
vfs.zfs.vdev.cache.size
vm.kmem_size
vm.kmem_size_max

Edit: tested autotune, and so far its *slightly* helping, transfers went from 2KBs to 50KBs.
also checked the "ifconfig -a | grep media" and it reported a 1000 connect with full duplexing.
the switch and router are gigbait and so are the ports on my desktop and server(freenas)
now the desktop and server are both connect to a gigabit switch, and that switch connects them both to the router,
is there a way I can make sure that the traffic is only going through the switch? (it doesn't need to go all the way ou to the router.)

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi CatMan,

Any chance you have 4K (Advanced Format) drives & didn't check the "Force 4k" option when you created the pools?

What kind of results do you get if you ssh in & "dd" out a file (try "dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/zpool0/tmp.000 bs=2048k count=10k" - adjust "count" to control output size)?

As long as the filer & clients are in the same network (subnet) the traffic should only go through the switch. FreeNAS includes a copy of "iperf" which you can use to test your network throughput...you might want to give that a shot to help eliminate the network as the cause of the problem. Here's a guide detailing how to use it:

http://openmaniak.com/iperf.php

-Will

CatMan

Dabbler
Hi CatMan,

Any chance you have 4K (Advanced Format) drives & didn't check the "Force 4k" option when you created the pools?

What kind of results do you get if you ssh in & "dd" out a file (try "dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/zpool0/tmp.000 bs=2048k count=10k" - adjust "count" to control output size)?

As long as the filer & clients are in the same network (subnet) the traffic should only go through the switch. FreeNAS includes a copy of "iperf" which you can use to test your network throughput...you might want to give that a shot to help eliminate the network as the cause of the problem. Here's a guide detailing how to use it:

http://openmaniak.com/iperf.php

-Will

Thank you once again for helping me with this!

I hope I have performed this correctly, but there is no /mnt/zpool0/ on my machine so I changed this to a dataset I did have.
I tried your command:
[Raze@BlackServerStorage] /> dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/DATABASE_WD/Public/tmp.000 bs=2048k count=10k
10240+0 records in
10240+0 records out
21474836480 bytes transferred in 51.859578 secs (414095859 bytes/sec)
and it created a 20gb file in that directory

I don't remember what I checked for 4k sectors, I know that all the drives are advanced format drives, so i MAY have selected it but I remember reading in the FAQ or somewhere that it doesn't matter and if freenas detects the advanced format drives it will align them correctly (using 4k I would assume?)

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi CatMan,

That's almost 395MB/s.....so I don't think your disks are the problem!

What kind of numbers do you get running iperf between the filer & a client? Seems like we need to be looking at your network for the problem. Any chance you have a dodgy network cable connecting the FreeNAS box?

-Will

CatMan

Dabbler
Hi CatMan,

That's almost 395MB/s.....so I don't think your disks are the problem!

What kind of numbers do you get running iperf between the filer & a client? Seems like we need to be looking at your network for the problem. Any chance you have a dodgy network cable connecting the FreeNAS box?
-Will

Tested with Iperf on the server,
iperfed.jpg

Transfers are still super slow, last night I had an idea, turn of antivirus and firewalls! I figured that would help,
so I run my computer with nothing but essential services and copy files over to the server, still very slow with lots of pausing.

Also a slightly unrelated side note, do you know if there is a way to keep thumbnails on the server?
I store many photos on there from a dslr and ever time I goto the folder it has to re-render each photos thumbnail instead of saving it from the last time.
Thanks again

StephenFry

Contributor
8.2.0-beta3 gives me constant kernel panics, beta2 is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.