Open Nas Tower 2 - FreeNAS Ready

bermau

Dabbler
Hi to everybody,
has anyone tried this workstation?

https://www.miniserver.it/server-nas/nas-tower/open-nas-tower2.html

What do you think about it?
Configured with 16 GB of RAM (max supported by mainboard 64 GB - 4 x 16 GB).
CPU is INTEL ® Atom™ 8-Core Processor C2758 - 2,4 GHz FCBGA 1283,System-on-Chip, I don't know this CPU.

To be used for:
About 8 TB of storage; Timemachine; Samba; Iocage jails (installed on mirrored ssd) for Caddy (reverse proxy), Plex (streaming in 1080P), Nextcloud, Transmission; Ubuntu Server VM (for Onlyoffice).

Could anyone give me some advice?

Thank you in advance.
BM

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
That looks to be a decent option for a small home NAS and FreeNAS will certainly run OK on it.

You will need to see the reality of it, but with multiple transcode streams and activity on your VM, you may test the CPU to (or beyond) its limits.

16GB of RAM would be good if you weren't doing the VM, you might want to consider more RAM once you've had real-world experience with it. If you only need 1GB of RAM for the VM, probably fine.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer

bermau

Dabbler
That looks to be a decent option for a small home NAS and FreeNAS will certainly run OK on it.

You will need to see the reality of it, but with multiple transcode streams and activity on your VM, you may test the CPU to (or beyond) its limits.

16GB of RAM would be good if you weren't doing the VM, you might want to consider more RAM once you've had real-world experience with it. If you only need 1GB of RAM for the VM, probably fine.
Thank you for reply.
Sorry, I omitted to write that workstation is for small home Nas.

The VM, has only 1 CPU and 1 GB of RAM, it is enough for running Onlyoffice with nextcloud integration.

Therefore, the only doubt remains CPU.... will it be able to stream at least in 1080P?

bermau

Dabbler
Looks like this:

I ran that precise model for a couple of years, works great. I replaced it with the same form factor but a Xeon-D CPU because I need better single-thread peak performance for my virtualized applications. This one:

Kind regards,
Patrick

Very good.
Can you give me an opinion about streaming with plex?

Thank you a lot.
BM

Fredda

Guru
As long as no video transcoding is needed plex should not be a problem.

sretalla