NVMe drive for slog

Status
Not open for further replies.

kspare

Guru
Well of course I'm right. I'm always right. It sucks to be always right.

And everyone here's appreciates your wisdom and how humble you are. bahahahaha

jgreco

Resident Grinch
And everyone here's appreciates your wisdom and how humble you are. bahahahaha

If only there were a large queue line of people just waiting to take over for me and the other people who've been doing this too long.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well of course I'm right. I'm always right. It sucks to be always right.

In all seriousness I realize you are joking.

But... I actually do like to be wrong sometimes. That means there's something I don't know.. which is where the fun begins! So being right is great for solving problems, but being wrong is just as valuable because you can learn something. :D

jgreco

Resident Grinch
In all seriousness I realize you are joking.

Actually only about 12% joking. Part of it is that I've learned to be more-than-slightly-careful about the things I say. I usually *know* the stuff I don't know and I leave that to someone else to figure out, or go figure it out myself before I actually say something about it. Knowing when not to say something is a fairly well-practiced skill. You've seen me for years. I tend to make carefully qualified statements, because I usually know where the edges are. For example, I don't talk much about CIFS and Windows permissions.

I've spent years consulting, a job I would largely characterize as "frequently having to tell clients the things they desperately don't want to hear." In that role, you cannot be wrong, so you always know why you're right. It usually doesn't make you the popular guy. It sucks to be always right. I say that more wryly than anything else. I don't hang around here because I'm a ZFS n00b.... I'm here mainly because I enjoy the crowd here, and because I like to show some appreciation for the work iX has done in the form of providing some tech support. The things I say, especially around here, aren't likely to be wrong.

David E

Contributor
Has anyone tried overprovisioning a P3700 to see if you get even more IOPS out of it? Also I assume everyone is running the 400GB size?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You're not likely to get *more* IOPS. However, it is possible that the device will run out of free pages when placed under heavy stress, and if you overprovision it then the pool of free pages will be substantially larger, which in turn increases the ability of the device to maintain a high write rate for a longer period of time (possibly even indefinitely).

Status
Not open for further replies.