Non-Sanctioned "Pimp My Ride"

ThreeDee

Guru
Generally all my "data" is classified in the "non-critical" category so aside from time lost .. I can afford to play with stuff and I am fully aware that if I am using non recommended hardware that if any problems arise, it's not the fault of FreeNAS/TrueNAS.

I've repurposed old desktop hardware for FreeNAS in the past and was even using an AMD E-350 for a bit before going legit and getting an Intel lga1155 server board with spendy DDR3 ECC UDIMM's .. ran great and is still running great as my friends TrueNAS box now.

I needed a little bit more oomph for running Plex.. that was my excuse anyways to play with some potentially beefier hardware .. at least hardware that had more room to upgrade/expand.

Enter: Chinese Knock-off x79t LGA2011... Cheap DDR ECC RDIMM's, quad channel memory , Cheap CPU's .. 40 PCIe lanes .. and a functioning m.2 slot.

I initially bought the motherboard with an E5-4640 (v1), 4 x 8GB ECC DDR3 RDIMM's for $125. I sold the 32GB of RAM for $40 or $50 (I forget now) and picked up 4 x 16GB ECC sticks for just under $70 shipped off of Ebay.

I initially bought a 32GB M.2 SATA drive for $9 ..but this motherboard didn't even see it in the BIOS (drive works fine in a 2.5" shell casing) . So I bought a 128GB NVMe SSD for $18 and it worked like a charm .. I mirrored my USB to SATA connected 128GB SSD and then pulled it out and now just run the NVMe drive for booting.

I just bought myself a kind of Christmas present and purchased an E5-2695 v2 to upgrade my CPU for a bit pricey $140 off of Newegg. I wasn't sure if my motherboard would like it or not, but after reading up on compatibility of what both CPU's would theoretically run on .. I took the chance.

Upon first boot it was real slow and I was getting a little nervous .. it finally booted but kinda froze on the TrueNAS pre boot screen spinning cursor .. uh oh.
I rebooted and got into the BIOS and reset to factory defaults and rebooted and that was the ticket.. booted up quick.

I logged in and immediately installed the 12.0-U1 update ..rebooted and it's been looking good so far .. Prior to CPU upgrade, my setup has been running trouble free since the end of July, beginning of August 2020 when I first set it up. Hopefully the trend continues going from 8 cores/16 threads to 12 cores/24 threads ... going from a Passmark score of 7308 to 13394 (average scores for mentioned processors).

I'm a happy camper and so are my 40'ish friends/family that watch my Plex stuff (I've had up to 9 users watching at a time). Ubiquiti UniFi Controller has been running great for my 4 old UniFi AP's..

Thanks TrueNAS team for this great product and the great no-nonsense community here! :cool: