NFS mount from Ubuntu 16.04 client fails "mount request from unprivileged port"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gessi

Dabbler
Hello,

I am running FreeNAS 9.10.2-U6 and try to mount a NFS Share from a Ubuntu 16.04 client:

$ sudo mount -t nfs <My_IP>:/mnt/pool1/data /mnt/nfs
mount.nfs: access denied by server while mounting <MyIP>:/mnt/pool1/data

In my FreeNAS WebGui I can see the following error message:

freenas mountd[18509]: mount request from <MyIP> from unprivileged port

I see there is a insecure option for such errors but I have no clue how to solve this for my FreeNAS's NFS service!? Can anyone help me on how to fix this?

Nick2253

Wizard
Is your Ubuntu client an allowed host for the NFS share?

Gessi

Dabbler
Is your Ubuntu client an allowed host for the NFS share?
I have nothing in there but the NFS mount works from my MacBook as well so I was wondering why and what has to be edited in the configuration?

Nick2253

Wizard
what has to be edited in the configuration
Since we have no idea what your configuration is, it's kinda difficult to suggest changes. A screenshot of your NFS settings would help. There's really nothing to go on right now.

Gessi

Dabbler
Sorry for the delay but attached are the screenshots with my, very basic, NFS setup.

Attachments

• NFS_1.png
    NFS_1.png
    60.1 KB · Views: 733
  • NFS_2.png
    NFS_2.png
    52.7 KB · Views: 708

Nick2253

Wizard
Try explicitly adding your home network as an authorized network in NFS, and see if that fixes anything.

Gessi

Dabbler
Hey guys,

sorry for the log delay but I had to cleanup and reset my OpenVPN jail which was connecting the OpenVPN Client (network 10.8.0.0) to my NFS server on my FreeNAS (192.168.0.0). The FreeNAS Gui showed incoming NFS mount requests from IP address 192.168.0.18 which is my OpenVPN server (the client's Tun0 interface was 10.8.0.6).

I played around a bit with using different network settings for the NFS share on my freenas but the issues won't go aways.

I ended up fixing this issue setting the option "Allow non-root mount:" to "yes" within the FreeNAS WebGui for the running services. At the same time I hardened access to my NFS exports allowing only my internal LAN IP address range (192.168.0.0/24) to make sure no external access possible. This fixed the issue and the unprivileged port issue went away. I did miss this setting in the services porting of the freenas WebUI before... sorry...

Status
Not open for further replies.