Newbie - No jail or minidlna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sinbrad

Dabbler
Ok guys, over the last few days I've transformed my old pc into a NAS server and I've managed to get it up and running and sharing some media via CIFS. Anyway, my problem is that I can access the shares via my media hub but other devices on the network are DLNA only and I cannot get the file to them. I have tried about a dozen or more times to setup jail along with the plugin minidlna but I hit a brick wall each and every time. The plugins say they are loaded but they do not appear on the left hand side of the screen allowing me to configure them. Obviously each attempt at starting the plugin fails due to it not being configured. I have watched videos on youtube etc over and over and tried to replicate what they are doing but still it doesn't work. Please help

asw2012

Contributor
From my limited knowledge, I'll try and get an answer for you. First, I found Internet Explorer does not work properly. I've been using Firefox. Maybe it is as simple as that.

Next, I found that I needed to setup an IP address for the plugin jail. In this video you will see how to setup an ip address for your jail (about 1/2 way through he explains).. or watch the whole thing. This is what stumped me forever :mad: trying to get the miniDLNA to appear in my left hand tree, the dang IP address the jail needs to operate properly.

Next, This video will help you setup your miniDLNA mount points. This is so you can dump files from where ever into the NAS and have miniDLNA stream them.

After 2-3 days of pulling my hair out, I was able to dump media files into my NAS from any computer, then access them from my DLNA enabled devices.

The only thing I am still stuck on is streaming videos to my XBOX360. It will do pictures and music, but the videos are still a mystery. I've tried various different formats, no go yet.

-Andrew

sinbrad

Dabbler
Hi, Thanks for the info. Have followed all the videos etc but when I select my default folder from any DLNA capable device ie TV, Blu Ray etc it displays 3 folders ie Music, video, photos and even though there is currently a test video in the video folder each device reports this folder as empty? So even though I'm a little bit further forward I've once again hit another hurdle. Oh, on the NAS I only have one sharing folder which has the test video so don't understand why all devices show three folders unless it's a windows media type of thing?

asw2012

Contributor
I'm not sure sure why it displays 3 folders. Maybe it auto-configures all media and separates it?

In the folder I've shared from the jail, I've created 3 folders: Music, Pictures and Video and in these folders I've placed the corresponding media. I can stream pictures and music to my Xbox360 (I dont have any other DLNA equipped devices yet) BUT I can not see or stream ANY type of video file, I've tried 3-4 different formats now. I've been waiting for an answer in this thread... still waiting. I can't seem to find an appropriate answer as of yet, but it seems we have a similar issue. Maybe it is something we're doing, or not doing.

I can stream all media from the FreeNAS box to any PC with WIN7/WIN8, so it must be something with the DLNA devices?

Hopefully someone can chime in here.

sinbrad

Dabbler
With my situation I can't even see any files within windows media centre. I can view and play all files from the NAS through my network as the NAS shows up on that. But when trying to view any file via DLNA it just doesn't want to work. Prior to following your advice I couldn't even see the NAS on my DLNA capable devices. But now I can but just can't view any files? I'm hoping it's an easy fix as I've been at this for days and getting one step closer each day

sinbrad

Dabbler
Well, Still no further forward. Have restored to factory settings and tried over and over again to get things going but no joy. When I thought I had everything running I could see the freenas device showing up in my menu on both my DLNA Tv and DLNA Blu ray but I still cannot see any files that I have put in the remote folders. I noticed when going into my network setting in window media player that the freenas shows up as a media device but again no files are showing. When I right click on the icon and select to go to the device webpage it shows minidlna status and shows 3 folders ie video, photo and music and all are empty. Somehow the external devices are not able to see any of the files that I have in my default NAS folders?

asw2012

Contributor
I've got ALL to work on my panasonic Blu-Ray player DMP-BD75. The Movies still do not show up on the XBOX360. It has got to be something with that device. I'm going to scour google to see if this is typical.

one thing to check is permissions for your setup. Go to the Change permissions in the storage manager (the disk stack with the key symbol), mines at root & wheel. Under Mode: all boxes checked, Type of ACL: Unix, and I always check set permissions recursively so I know all folders will inherit whatever I changed.

this is how I got all to work.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
So is now a good time to finally tell you that DLNA is more of a protocol than a file format. If the device can't play that file format(or codec.. whatever) then it won't play. DLNA simply says "here's a list of files".. and your device figures out what it can and can't use.

asw2012

Contributor
thanks for clarifying that noobsauce80, I was suspecting that after my Panasonic device can read all, but the Xbox360 can not. I guess I'm going to have to find a format that both can read.

sinbrad

Dabbler
Well, finally I've got everything working ie minidlna, jail plugin etc and now I'm able to watch my files from all dlna capable devices. In the end I went from 32bit freenas to 64bit freenas and everything worked first time. I'm now gonna have a play around with other plugins and see how that goes but as far as I'm concerned my goal was just to get a dlna nas server working and now that's achieved I'm happy. Thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.