newb question: mix'n'match drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeblow

Cadet
Greetings,

I understand that for the drives that the ZFS is on, it's best that they are all the same size, same drive type. I also understand that the number of physical disks in a ZFS array cannot be dynamically changed. For example, start with 3 physical drives, 3 drives is what it is now and forever more.

However, budget won't support that now. Can I use different size drives as 'placeholders' until such time as I can get proper drives?

Details:

I've got a case I can put 5 drives in.

I have two 2TB drives on the way. I also have two 1.5 TB drives and one 1.0TB drive that I can use, so five drives would be:

2 ea 2TB
2 ea 1.5TB
1 ea 1.0TB

The idea is to set up the ZFS pool with these, then each month order another 2TB drive and replace a drive until all five physical drives are 2TB drives.

Is this reasonable? Or am I not understanding how things actually work?

Thanks!

Kimba

Dabbler
The problem is that all drives need to be upgraded to a larger size in order that the pool gets resized.

Also the smallest drive would be the multiplier: For example if you use a RaidZ1 you use this formula ((# of Drives) - 1) * smallest drive space. With your setup it would be 5 TB.

At this point there are thousands of ways to do this right so what I would do is create a pool of 2x1.5 TB and 1 x 1TB (3 drives) then just for practice swap out the 1 TB drive with the 2TB and resilver it.

When you are done then repeat the process with the other 2 TB drive.

When you get the third drive repeat the process and reboot the box. Now you can use the other three drives to create another pool of 3 drives and repeat the process you did with the first pool

Remember mine is just a suggestion others will very

ProtoSD

MVP
Joeblow,

Kimba's suggestion is fine, but yours will work also. The trouble with Kimba menthod is if you're make a raidz1, then both of those 3 disk vdevs in the pool will each have their own parity disk, so you loose 2 disks to parity. Also, if one of those vdevs dies (2 disks in the same vdev fail), then you loose everything!

I would prefer your way if you don't mind your pool being a little smaller until you replace the smaller disks. Remember, you must replace one disk at a time and let it resilver before doing the next disk. The process of resilvering is automatically triggered when you do a "zpool replace" on a disk.

Fpmurphy

Cadet
I've been searching the fourms, and have a similar question. I thought it was related enough to not start a new thread.

I have a FreeNAS build that uses 2x1.5TB and 3x1TB drives in a raidz2. I'm using FreeNAS-8.2.0-RELEASE-p1-x64.

I currently have 2.4TB of space and it's 80% full. I only need enough extra space to last until the end of the year. If I replace one of the 1TB drives with a 3TB drive, will I see an increase in available space? Or do I need to replace all of the drives?

Eventually all the drives will be increased to 3TB drives, but ideally it could be one at a time.

A new vdev isn't an option for me. I'm using all available sata connections on my motherboard and all the 3.5" bays in my case.

Thanks!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Review the powerpoint presentation in my sig. It will answer your question as well as a bunch of others you don't know you have!

Fpmurphy

Cadet
Review the powerpoint presentation in my sig. It will answer your question as well as a bunch of others you don't know you have!
Thanks! I was just about to edit my post saying I found what I was looking for after stumbling upon your powerpoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.