New User Installation Choice - 9.10.2 vs 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsr7

Cadet
First post. Hi everybody!

I've done an initial install of 9.10.2 but ran into some issues accessing the share from my network, so started digging in here.

I'm going to reinstall on a USB memory stick and then give it another go, BUT am wondering if I should go ahead and start with 10.

I like to leave things alone once they're working well and if I will have an easier setup or less hassles upgrading later, I'm fine with waiting for the 10 release (or installing now if it is close enough).

If you need more info to give advice:

I'm just starting off with FreeNAS - I have an extensive technical background in Windows environments, but very limited in any flavor of Linux. My most recent setup was setting up a NextCloud server on Ubuntu. I can work from the command line, but look up most commands and then puzzle over the more obscure stuff (from a Windows perspective).

I've cascaded two routers, the secondary having VPN and have my new HTPC, my workstations, wife's computer, all phones/tablets/whatever here. This is also where I plan to have the FreeNAS computer.

The main router is where I have my weather station, a Windows web server (test platform), nextCloud, garage door, and anything that I haven't tested with the VPN yet.

The NAS will be used for storing video, mp3s, photos, ebooks, and PDFs. Going to try to pare down the video library from 14-15 TB down to about 10, as there are a number of films we'll never watch or are SD versions that we also have in HD.

The FreeNAS computer is my recently retired HTPC - MSI motherboard with AMD FX 4300 cpu, 16 GB ECC, and ten 2 TB hard drives. 4 of the drives are connected via a PCI expansion card. Interestingly, FreeBSD never batted an eye at this card while Windows hates it. I know this computer isn't a barn burner, but I just want something stable and reliable, don't need blazing speed.

Thank you all
Doug

gpsguy

I recommend starting with 9.10.2-u1.

FreeNAS 10 is still in beta. It might be getting better, but I wouldn't use it for production data at this point in time. I'd wait at least 2-3 months after it's released.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I'm with @gpsguy on this one. I wouldn't recommend someone learn a new platform using beta software.

dsr7

Cadet
Thank you for your feedback. I'll jump into Uncle Fester's guide and move ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.